What do you call these in your part of the world?

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
Since everyone is on the "Name That Tool Subject". What do you guys call this: http://www.jamarco.com/Hand_Tools/wrenches/slugging.jpg

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
Well, I've done about everything that I know how to do to edit my above post and turn the url into a link. I either don't have permission to edit my own post or I'm do dumb to figure it out. Maybe I should take another one of those "CQ" tests and see just how dumb I really am.

Dan

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
That's a hammer wrench.

What is this?

Attachments

• tool.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 67

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Nope; it is something much more sinister.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
You're getting warmer . . . .

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
...definitely something gynecological. Not necessarily for humans. The image of a 'pried' cervix come to mind...not sure--definitely not for the office gynecologist.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
1) Jakoavain
2) Lenkki(avain)
3) Kuusiokoloavain
4) Säädettävät tongit

That's what my father and I call them, and the first three are probably pretty much the correct or at least universally accepted Finnish terms for them. I'm not sure about the last one, but "our name" is pretty much a direct translation of adjustable pliers.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999

Do you remember when the ISDE was in Australia?  Well, I remember a story told by Ron Lawson from Dirt Bike magazine.  Seems his gear shift lever had fallen off on the trail.  Some spectators came along and found him crawling around on his hands and knees.  They asked him what he was looking for and he said, "My Shifter."  They all gave each other blank stares as if to say, 'Why is he looking for a wrench out here in the weeds?'  It wasn't until later that Ron learned that he should have told them that he was looking for his gear selector.

:)

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Aahhh, the variations of the English language make for some humerous situations.

When I was in San Clemente California I wanted to go for a surf, so I went into the local surf shop and asked if I could hire a surfboard for the day. Of course they all stared at me with blank faces thinking what the hell. After several minutes I realised I should have been asking to rent the surfboard.

I guess you had to be there.

Anyway
1. Shifting spanner, Shifter, Adjustable spanner
2. Spanner
3. Allen keys, hex keys
4. Multigrip pliers, Multigrips.

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
*Flogging spanner*

That's the answer I was looking for.

I work in the oil field and was recently at a BP (British Petroleum) facility. We needed one of these from the warehouse and almost never found it until someone said that we were looking for the wrong thing. No Hammer Wrenches, No Slugging Wrenches, They had lots of "Flogging Spanners" though.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
JMICS, that was good.

I work in telecom... alot of people consider me lucky. I work with strippers and dykes all day.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…