What do you do with your used oil ???

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
What do you do with your old oil after draining it? I myself have found a great way to rid of the used oil.I take a used 25 lb cat littler container/which is square plastic with a lid. I place under my bike and it easily catches oil from both of my drain plugs at the same time. No mess ,no fuss:then I put the square lid on the box. It got about 1/2 full,so I took it up the street to the Jiffy Lube who seemed happy to get the used oil at no charge to me.:cool:

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
Drain it into a closeable container and take it to an auto parts store for disposal, they take it for free, and they dispose of it properly!!

Brian~

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Empty 5 gallon steel race fuel cans make excellent storage containers.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
My dad has a trucking company and buys oil by the barrel (200 liters or so).

We just use the empty ones to dump the used oil into(we pour it into a metal pan from the bike), and when we have 6 or so, we call a company that will come and pick them up for free as long as the oil is "clean"(no gasoline or other crap in there).

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
So, we were at WalMart a few months ago, and upon entering, the sight of about 15 employees sporting rubber gloves, buckets, huge handfuls of rags and assorted cleaning products made us stop and look. The gang was stretched out through the store, basically in a line leading from the front door back towards the automotive section.

Seems that one bright in-duh-vidual decided it was time to bring in his used motor oil. So, he poured it into a ten gallon garbage bag. Seems the first one started to leak, so he added another for protection.

The second bag didn't develop a leak until he walked through the front door. He proceeded to trail oil through the entire store, reaching the automotive department just as the bag released the final drop of it's contents!

The following week, upon entering same store, a large hand-lettered sign was posted "USED OIL MUST ENTER BY TIRE DEPARTMENT".

Kramer

Jan 19, 2000
Do you think his ancestors stayed in the shallow end of the gene pool?

I've seen shop heaters that run on used motor oil. I always thought it would be a good way to go.

R White

Sep 13, 2001
I have a friend that takes all my used oil, he has a small farm, he uses it to paint his fences with it, he claims it keeps the bugs from eating the fence and the horses and cows don't chew on it either:think

don't know if this is a good thing but it works for him

smb_katoomer

Feb 24, 2001
five gallon buckets work well for storage and i know that autozone will dispose of it properly and more importantly free of charge, but they have a five gallon limit per day, per customer. i've heard of putting it on fences, etc. and i could understand why it works, just hope the neighbors don't work for the EPA.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Fireants!!!!

mike_h

Nov 9, 2000
Since I use ATF in my gearbox, can I just take the used stuff to a place that does motor oil, or do I have to look elsewhere?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Mike - Most depots don't distinguish between ATF and motor oil for disposal so you should have no problem.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Jiffy Lube

Walk in the garage, and ask where the oil dump is. Pour your own oil, (doesnt matter which), and then throw your old containers out, or take them home to use again. JL is the ticket!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom