What do you know about EYE Surgery? Lasik, etc

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
My wife is thinking about having eye surgery. She is near-sighted. Do any of you have any experience with some of these new laser eye surgeries and the results? Which one is the least risky and gives the best results?

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Another website that I frequent: www.airwarriors.com
Is a website for Navy and Marine pilots and kids looking into the available programs to become Naval Aviators. There are many people on this site that have had the PRK procedure done. Supposedly it's a great deal with people reporting nothing but positive results. From what I understand, the procedure can be completed in a couple of hours, there's some minor irritation after the first 24 hours (they give you eye drops that eliminate the discomfort) and the results are seen (pun intended) within a few days (5-7). The concensus seems to be that those that have had the procedure are reporting better than 20/20 vision afterward (20/15 seems to be the norm). There are some that say they are having trouble with seeing "halo's" at night, but I think it gets better with time. The military just did a study on the benefits to prospective aviators (basically, if you don't have 20/40 or better you can't fly for the Navy) and many people that otherwise would have never been considered for flight training have been given a second chance after having the surgery.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I'm not sure exactly which type, but my dad and sister have both had the procedure done with great results. I actually drove my dad to and from his appointment a few years ago and the whole thing took about a half hour. I walked down the hallway a bit and saw a big window into a room with a giant TV mounted up on the wall. I realized it was my dad's eye on the monitor and they were performing the surgery right there in the room. A little gross to watch at first, but it was pretty interesting. If I remember correctly, they both had blurry vision for a day or two. Then they were very happy with the results.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
I too am really considering doing this. I'm just sick of wearing glasses (esp under my goggles) and contacts have never worked well for me.

My eyesight is not too bad now (I can read the alarm clock at night) but not good enough to ride or drive without them. And my perscription has not changed in 10 years

My "nay-sayer" friends are always coming up with "horror stories" but seldom have real first hand experience (it's always my dentists-friends-neighbor stuff)

The latest is the "5 year" deal. After 5 years supposedly "ALL" the people they know that have done it are back in glasses.

Anyone have any concrete info on this either way?

Rod

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I had LASIK performed back in March '99. I was nearsighted; contact lens prescription was something like -7.5 (BAD!).

Back in '99 LASIK procedures were just starting to be done in the states, so I had mine done by a doctor in Canada. He had over 10,000 surgeries under his belt.

It sucked at first. Vision was a little blurry, and my near vision was really bad. Big halos around lights at night, and hazy in dimly lit rooms. Outside in the bright sun, it was crystal clear. Very light dependent. The brighter the better.

Slowly but surely my vision improved. Lubrication of the eyes was very important to the healing process in the first several weeks. It helps control the healing process. I could not notice improvements week-to-week, but rather month-to-month. After the first year, it was very good. After 2 years it was damn near perfect.

At the time of the surgery I was 35, and never had a problem with my near vision. The first 1 year after the surgery, I had a hard time reading medicine bottles, small news print, etc. It is much better now, but the doc did tell me that the surgery did accelerate the nearsightedness that most older people get. At 39 now, my nearsightedness is more like a typical 45 year. Still slight halos at night, but I'm pretty much used to them.

All things consider, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. After wearing and fighting contacts and Coke-bottled glasses for 20 years, it is very liberating. Want to see what time it is in the morning? No problemo! Even though I wore contacts since 16, they could be a pain. Blink the wrong way and they'd pop out. Glad they're a thing of the past!

I'm sure the techniques and technologies have improved in the past 5 years, but I am not up-to-date on them.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I had it done two years ago and have not regretted it one bit!  No problems or bad side effects.  The most important thing is to follow the doctors orders.  Sleep (immediately following the proceedure) is most important.  I had it done at 7am, went home with a Valium, slept till 5pm, doctor came home (father-in-law) and said sleep more which I did.  I only had halos for a week and the gritty sensation was only on the day of the procedure.

A brother-in-law that had the procedure done by my father-in-law (two weeks before me) didn't follow doc's orders.  He went out to lunch with family members and visited for most of the day.  His recovery was not nearly as fast as mine and he's had some complaints similar to Smit.

Even though the LASIK was free (family discount :) ), It would still be worth the money spent if where not a freeby!

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
What Smit dog said!
The single best thing I have ever done for myself.
Will be three years in May.
Don't look for bargin basement doctors, look for one with experience.
Mine had done over 12,000 at that time.
Don

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Just a follow-up to previous post...

Mine cost $4,000. I knew of some engineers who's company paid for the procedure 100%. Don't know if it was covered by insurance (doubt it), or it was a company perk.

I slept plenty the first 2 days. I caught the flu on the drive home (actually threw up on my wife's company-issued laptop in the car! Fried circuit board - had to be replaced!). Between the flu and sleeping pills, I was asleep for most of the first 48 hours. For 6-8 months following surgery I used lubricating drops religiously.

Like most things, everyone's experience / results will be different. I've known people to have their tear ducts blocked after surgery to improve a dry eye condition.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
So is there is PRK, LASIK, and radial (I have no idea how to spell this) keritotomy I think....

TwinSpar, what is the opinion of your father-in-law about the best procedure?

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
how old should you be before you consider the surgery? im only 15 so its quite a few years off but glasses really suck.

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
My husband had Lasik surgery on his eyes a couple months ago. Before the surgery he could not see without his glasses and had a stigmatism (sp?). The surgery cost exactly $5,000 for both eyes and that included after-care visits. He no longer needs glasses of any type, not even for fine print.

Yes, we found less expensive Lasik surgeons but since we were talking about his vision, we went with the best and it has paid off! He no longer has to fight trying to see the trail behind two layers of dust, one from his glasses and one from his goggles.

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
Has anybody seen the Simpsons episode where they're in the future and Homers eyes are all crusted over and swelled shut because he had Lasik years before? :laugh:

The main question I have asked and not got a decent answer is what will happen to your eyes years down the road from doing this?????
I get tired of wearing glasses sometimes, doesn't bother me too much when I ride except when they fog up and I usually don't wear them all the time unless driving or something I want to see is around(read ie: beach, malls
etc. ;) )

Boomer, Did they change the qualifications now? I thought the military wouldn't allow surgically corrected vision?

MX 125

Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by mxer842
how old should you be before you consider the surgery? im only 15

im very interested in this to ill be 16 in febuary and im tired of contacts and refuse to wear glasses i can see things that are close just fine but anything at a distance is very blurry (like the board at school). Something that really scared me was i was going for a ride and i was going down the road (a road traveled reguarrly) i was going about 80kmph i looked down to avoid some pot holes and when i looked up there was a metal pole fence about 15-20 feet infront of me, i locked up front and back brakes and by the time i got stopped the bike was going semi sideways and the side of the bike and my leg slammed into the fence. my freind i was with was like what the hell were you doing suppsodly he could see the fence from along way back. scared me to death if i had have been looking down for a couple more seconds it would have been alot worse.

KPaton

Nov 12, 2001
I had lasik done last month. I love the results so far. Now with winter setting in, my eyes get dry late in the day, but the rewetting drops takes care of that. As far as needing reading glasses, some ppl will need them once they hit the 40's or so. Like others have said, its the best thing I've done for myself. Being a paramedic/firefighter, not having to find glasses or unsticking my contacts in a hurry is awesome. Any other questions, email me FFIPATON@AOL.COM

Keith

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I had Lasik done at TLC almost two years ago. They were the most expensive but recommended by my eye doctor. (They had done his) And I had two other friends who had had theirs done at the same place by the same doctor. It cost me $3700 and at the time it was the most expensive place around but they had the newest lasers, a doctor that had done well over 20,000 procedures and I wasn't willing to take a chance on saving a few bucks on my eyes. (Its not like having a cylinder ported where you can go buy a new one if it gets screwed up.) Bottom line: I went from being extremely near sighted to having 20/15 vision and feel it is was money well spent. I would do it again in a heart beat.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by MikeT
So is there is PRK, LASIK, and radial (I have no idea how to spell this) keritotomy I think....

TwinSpar, what is the opinion of your father-in-law about the best procedure?

He's doing some new procedure that is supposed to be better than the LASIK.  I'll find out what it is. 

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
Originally posted by DWreck
I had Lasik done at TLC almost two years ago. They were the most expensive but recommended by my eye doctor. (They had done his)

TLC performed the surgery on my husband's eyes too. It has been four months now, and he has had no complaints! We are located in So. Cal.

little_thumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2001
Just a little fyi There is a new procedure they are working on where they dont use lasers at all they actually use radio waves to change the shape of your eye. It is in the testing phase right now but according to the research they can correct vision with no abrasion to the eye at all. I had RK done on both my eyes years ago at the eye institute and I have never had any problems. Anyway something to think about

Top Bottom