what do you measure fork oil with?

gabe19

Jul 13, 2008
Hi I have an '03 rm 125 and I currently need new fork seals. I think I might be able to replace the seals on my own (hopefully) but the concept of how to add and measure fork oil confuses me. On the mxtech website it said my forks hold 350cc of oil? I don't get that measurement at all so mabye someone can help me. I read on here that you measure the fork oil with the spring out and the fork fully compressed. I have no idea what exactly I am supposed to measure it with or what the measurement is supposed to be, should I call a dealer? I was looking at some pivot works seals and bel-ray fork oil 5W. The fork oil comes in 1-liter bottles so will I only need one?

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
gabe19 said:
Hi I have an '03 rm 125 and I currently need new fork seals. I think I might be able to replace the seals on my own (hopefully) but the concept of how to add and measure fork oil confuses me. On the mxtech website it said my forks hold 350cc of oil? I don't get that measurement at all so mabye someone can help me. I read on here that you measure the fork oil with the spring out and the fork fully compressed. I have no idea what exactly I am supposed to measure it with or what the measurement is supposed to be, should I call a dealer? I was looking at some pivot works seals and bel-ray fork oil 5W. The fork oil comes in 1-liter bottles so will I only need one?

you have a twin chamber fork and if you want to change your fork oil i recommend to change the inner chamber oil too. therefore you must add approx. 200cc to the 350cc of the outer chamber and I guess you will need more than 1 Liter. take care to bleed the inner chamber (cartridge) well and forget about that "fork fully compressed..." thing, thats for open chamber forks only

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
gabe19 said:

350 Cubic Centimeters of oil..

Find a measuring cup with CC's on it, like a ratio rite cup, and fill to the 350 CC mark, pour into the forks.

gabe19

Jul 13, 2008
you lost me at changing the inner chamber fork oil and cartridge. I've never opened up any shocks before so I don't know about the different kinds. When I pull the top cap off the spring comes out I guess, thats all I thought was in there.

gabe19

Jul 13, 2008
I don't know money is kind of tight right now. I'm not an idiot when it comes to mechanics but I don't know everything. I'll probably figure it out If i decide to take it apart myself. I think I'll be buying some seal saver once I redo these also. How would I know which ones to get?

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002

gabe19

Jul 13, 2008
KTM-lew

You freaking rock man I would have never thought of youtubing this. after watching this video I feel very confident about doing this now thank you so much.

Top Bottom