What do you old guys do for training?

Zsolt67

Jun 10, 2002
Im getting back into racing motocross this season, my training is consisting of some heavy stairmaster sesions at the gym. I dont do much lifting anymore, I dont realy have a problem with strength I used to bench 315lbs. I am cocentrating on cardio because I always had a problem with arm pump. Back in the day I was off for about a year because of a broken wrist, all I did was do cardio and abb work. I remember getting on my friends KX250 one day when I was out watching them practice, I was able to crank out almost a tank of gas with out even breathing heavy. I'd like to hear what some of you older guys do I'm 35 by the way .

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I work on cardio mostly too. I run and ride my road bicycle. Try to get at least 3 30-40 minute runs each week. When the weather clears up, I'll start riding the bike when I'm at home. Anywhere from 20-70 miles depending on how I'm feeling and what kind of time constraints I have. I've always pushed fairly hard on the road bike, so they are fairly intense rides.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I really think cardio is the most critical, at least for me at 38. Mtbing is great as there is also some upper body work (if rides are technical enough) and bike handling skills are somewhat similar. I rode strongest when I was biking alot and cardio was real strong, but was doing little weight work. Weights alone just won't cut it.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by 96whyzee125
a cold refreshment. :confused:
Yes I also work out on the repetition theory and have it down to start at 12 oz and slowly (sometimes) work reps til its down to 0 then start out with a new beer...er weight ;)

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
In summer, ride mountain bike for minimum 1 hour keeping a pace that when you get home, your spent. 4-5 times a week
This winter, running on treadmill 5-6 days 30 min. to 1 hour depending on day, ab-back-upperbody weights 2 times a week.

Old guys sheesh, im 40

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
I watched two hours of Supercross this past Sunday!! It was exhausting!! My personal philosohy is if you live close to where you ride the dirtbike then ride it. If not get a Road bicycle or an MTB or both. During the winter i put my road bike on a wind trainer and watch the news or some tube. I also downhill ski. I've been looking into getting a snowmobile, couple of sledders who race mx tell me it's a good work out. i can't just excersize, i have to be playing at something. I'm not a gym rat. Lift all that weight?? What for? It ain't in the way is it??

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Well I'm 37 and in the last couple years my body has decided it's 50. In a couple months: I try to get in a couple 15 mile road bike rides a week, I ride a tough mountain bike trail every Monday for 2-3 hours. Ride as much as possible (which didn't happen but a couple times last year). Jump on the trampoline with my son utill I puke (actually close to). Ok, I'll cut to the chase, be as active a cross trainer as possible. Do it all! :thumb:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Oh, one other thing: 35 isn't old. I know this because I'm 38 and I'm years away from being old. :thumb:

IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
you guys are a bunch of punk kids. i am 57 and except for bp problems am having no trouble. i can tell though that when i get old i will need more cardio!

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I know a couple years ago I felt normal, well as normal as I could be, and then my body has gone to he!! in a hand basket as they say. Now aches and pains, I don't know what's up it's weird. Mid lifes coming, run away run away!

kmac

Jun 11, 2002
Mostly I work cardio with swimming. +/- 50 minutes non-stop 5 mornings a week. Ride a couple times a week in-season (march -November). May not sound like much, but endurance-wise, I kick most of my buddies asses consistently. I'm 44, and I ain't old. At 35 you're still wet behind one ear.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by mdkuder
I know a couple years ago I felt normal, well as normal as I could be, and then my body has gone to he!! in a hand basket as they say. Now aches and pains, I don't know what's up it's weird. Mid lifes coming, run away run away!
If you exercise for 1 hour, 4 times a week, and eat what you supposed to, you can feel like your 20 again. :yeehaw:

ram1

Dec 12, 2002
Its cool to see so many guys my age still into it. I'm 38 and lately I've been thinking I'm getting to old to ride hard. I just workout on the treadmill every day and try to eat right. I don't really feel 38 and if you guys really want to feel younger, try listening to some of the new rock music. My 11 year old daughter has me listening to Emenum!!! Heck I might order a flamed beanie hat from FMX!!!!!

Top Bottom