What do you think of a 2003 Yamaha TTR 125?

ctophman

Sep 4, 2009
Well, I am looking to get into the sport, but I dont have a bike. I have been looking around, trying to get a bike for a cheap price. So far I came accross a TTR 125 for $450. I am 15, about 5'7, and 130lbs. I have not ridden a dirtbike much, so I am not an expert on them. I am looking for something to have fun on, I know its a bit small, but also for me to learn on. Is the TTR 125 a good bike? It is being sold on craigslist, and Im wondering if this TTR 125 is a good beginners bike. I can't afford much, so the low price caught my eye. It looks to be in pretty good condition also. What do you think would be a good bike for me? Thanks alot :].

The person that will sell me the bike says that the bike has been ridden a bit, but it runs great, and starts always 1st or 2nd kick.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The Yamaha TTR-125 is heavy, underpowered, and sluggish through corners, but a lot of fun to play with in the yard. It is a good learning tool that will need to be upgraded in a year (after you have learned a few things).

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Nicely stated, Joe. There are a lot of good times to be had on the TTR125.

ctophman - It sounds like you already have yourself talked into the bike, and the price is right for you, go get it and have some fun. There are mods that can be done to the TTR 125 to make the bike grow a little bit with your skills, just search around this site and you'll be all set.

ctophman

Sep 4, 2009
Well, I also found an Honda 2001 XR 100 for about $700. Is that a good bike for about my size? I just want to have some fun, and trail riding.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Both bikes are pretty much the same size wise. The Yamaha TTR 125 will give you a little bit more motor, for your size not a bad thing. The XR is pretty much bullet proof, also a good thing. I would go for the extra cc's of the TTR.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The Yamaha TT-R125 comes in two sizes:

TT-R125 or TT-R125E is the small size. It has a 17" front wheel and 14" rear wheel. Seat height is 30.5 inches.

TT-R125L or TT-R125LE is the Large wheel version. 19" front , 16" rear wheel. They also have a front disk brake instead of the drum brake that the smaller version has.

The "E" versions are electric start, which adds weight and increases cost. I recommend the non-electric start models.

At 5'7" you are too tall for the small wheel version, I wouldn't recommend it. The large wheel version will be good to learn on but you will want to move on fairly quickly.

Having just bought a TTR-125LE for my wife and daughter I can tell you that many sellers mis-identify their bikes! I went to look at several bikes that the sellers said were large wheel version only to discover when I got there that they were small wheel. A tip that can save you some effort: the most easily identifiable difference is the front brake. Drum on the small wheel, disk on the large wheel.

Make sure you also have budget for the necessary gear. Helmet, goggles and boots are essential. Gloves and chest protector are highly recommended. A pair of riding pants will survive the spills you are going to take a lot better than your Levi's.

Rod

lucapachin

Aug 23, 2009
i say definitely i'm about your size and the 125 is a really fun bike to just have fun on. I got the bike when i was young and for $450 its hard to go wrong as long as it runs well the ttr doesn't really require much maintenance so you should be fine just be careful if its $450 there may be something wrong so just look into it and ask him a lot about it.
For gear you should only really need a helmet and some work boots i used ride in sneakers t shirt and jeans(now i use boots too) as long as you don't try to push your limits too much you wont need to buy all that gear gloves are also a good idea to have because when you fall its good to not mess your hands up

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom