What does the L in 1173L translate to in length?

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
I'm guessing L= 39.05mm......here's my thoughts.

As taken from CD's site.

OEM Option
J E = 38.15mm
K F = 38.60 mm
L
M
N G = 39.95mm

The difference between The J and the K is 1/2 clip or 0.45mm.
The difference between J and N is 2 clips or 1.8mm.
It appears there is a 1/2 clip difference between the OEM letters.
If this is indeed true.....then the L in the R1173L needle would be 39.05mm..

Can some one in the know verify this true or not..

I'm using James Dean's Spreadsheet and would like to use the exact stock values.

Thanks.

Buc

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
BucKat,
There isn't a direct replacement for the stock needle but you can input the stock needle into JD's spreadsheet by inputing r11=taper, 73=L1, and L=diameter. It isn't what they actually are but that is how to input the stock needles into the spreadsheet. Hope that helps.--Dan

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003

Attachments

• pj_34_39_jn.jpg
    pj_34_39_jn.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 80

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Ah ha!
Yes Dan...that will help. I didn't realize you could input the OEM specs.
I recognize there is no direct replacement and that's driving me nuts....soley for the purpose of knowledge.
I'll plug the OEM value in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,play around with some #'s and see it my estimate works out to be 39.05mm

Thanks

Originally posted by BucKat
As taken from CD's site.
Buc

89kdx......That is where I obtainned the data....thanks :thumb:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There are notes on JD's spreadsheet on different pages (and outside the 'standard' margins you may be showing on your screen) that have more info than just the stock needle input info.

Take a look at that stuff, too. Some examples, recommendations etc.

While there is indeed no direct cross from kawi proprietary and keihn, you can interpolate to get a 1/2 way decent guess.

Which is what I understand you to have done (putting an 'M' in there for good measure).

39.05mm is pretty close for a good guess.

But, as dan says, with direct input into the spreadsheet doable, the exact L1 of a kawi 'L' needle is a bit by-the-way.

That spreadsheet is pretty cool, 'eh?

Note the profiles say between 'B' and 'C' sloped needles are linear in progression, but the mixture % numbers show such an example to be of less difference as the throttle opening increases? That's clear, right?

First glance, you might wonder why the % change doesn't show the profile change. Percentages kinda work that way though........ ;)

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Yep,,,,saw the notes> Read them all........still digesting ..

I have input the OEM value of R1173L-3 as the baseline value.
Second line.... a Keihn value of BFP-2.5.
Third line........ BGP-4.

Same pilot and main for each.
All translate to the same curve on both charts....Hmmmm....neat.

This could just be a result of JD's math or prove that the OEM letters indeed have a 1/2 clip difference. Even through the missing letters.
At any rate....yes it is a tres cool sheet..

Originally posted by canyncarvr

Note the profiles say between 'B' and 'C' sloped needles are linear in progression, but the mixture % numbers show such an example to be of less difference as the throttle opening increases? That's clear, right?

First glance, you might wonder why the % change doesn't show the profile change. Percentages kinda work that way though........ ;)

Yes,,,understood...
I did see that but just took it at face value.(me's not that intuitive :confused: )
Oh gawd.....do I have much to learn.,,,,,,,and this is good. :thumb:

Yesterday I had intentions of trying different needles with the hopes of loging data for future reference.........flat tire kinda got in the way of that................Now what tire to get???? .....hmmmm....but that's a different thread....heehee

Buc

The journer continues...

Cheers!

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: Oh gawd.....do I have much to learn

Don't we all?

At least you're approaching it from a reasonable angle......using available materials to do some intelligent research.

Much preferable to the tack most (it seems) take, 'Uh...my bike doesn't work. What should I do?'

Have fun!!

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Thanks CC..

And thus ends another Thread...

Cheers

Buc

Top Bottom