What Dual Sport do you recommend?

Crazyeddy

May 6, 2001
Dealerships

Jimmy
I went to the Suzuki dealership in town. They did not help much, but I will go check out te Yuba City dealership when I can. As for the Honda dealershipin chico, I went in there once and the lady was a complete bitch. If I do decide on a Honda I will not be it from her or that dealership.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
DRZ400S with D606's and maybe Kouba links for the height. An all round great dual sport package - check out http://www.thumpertalk for info on the DRZ's

GFM

Dec 19, 2000
I'll cast another strong vote for the XR650R. Only the tightest trails bother it. On faster trails, dirt roads or the street no other DS bike can touch it. Modern suspension and lots of power. And don't say "yeah but it's heavy" because all DS bikes are heavy.

Maybe not as good if you're real short, but it would be worth trying one out if you can. Get the power up kit in it - you'll absolutely love the motor!

Greg

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
klr650

As mentioned by others, if you're going to do much pavement get a 600+. The KLR is water cooled, very much street worthy, will run forever, and will ride 2-up for hours on end w/o complaining. I know die-hard Honda riders that own KLR's for dual sport use.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
2 and a half hours on the road??
One word : displacement! The more the better.
If your talking new bikes, i'd say XR650R -w- dualsport (enduro as us old farts would say) kit.

If we're talking used, maybe an older XL-600R, XT-600??
(still has the power, but with lower seat height)

I have an '82 XL500R -w- MT21's and stiffened suspention, and i love it!
Chugs up hills and tight trails that give sub 400cc machines fits, and will cruise for hours at 65+mph.
(yea, it's heavy as hades, but that just makes you stronger!) :p

Mt-21's work great but they seem to wear out quick.
(about 1,500-2,000 miles rear , quadruple that for the front)
Smooth on the street, hook up pretty good in the dirt!

Top Bottom