What else to look for in a used bike

darklich14

Aug 7, 2005
I'm checking out a Honda XR200R ('94) and it's in pretty good shape. The frame is a little bit rusted in some areas, but I'd plan on stripping the rust, and painting and sealing it again if I got it. Also, the guy just replaced the sprockets, chain, tires, and seat. I know the breaks are important, but what can you really do about the transmission or the internal engine parts? I think I'd be willing to pay up to about 1k for it. Does that sound like a decent offer? Or should I look elsewhere?

Some of the plastics are a bit banged up, and the muffler has very small dents in it which I hear can affect performance, but they're not very substantial. Any opinions, etc?

darklich14

Aug 7, 2005
SpeedyManiac said:
Check wheels and linkage for play in the bearings. If you're worried, take the bike to a dealer and get them to check it out.

wheels as in if they're bent and whatnot? and play in the bearings? What does that mean? bearings in the axle of the wheel? like any kind of 'slip' between the chain, sprocket, and wheel?

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Put the bike on a centerstand. Grab the wheel and try to move it from side to side. It shouldn't move, if it does its got bad wheel bearings. To check the linkage/swingarm bearings, grab the back of the swing arm and lift up and down, if you get more than say 1/8" of up-down play there are some bad bearings in the linkage/swingarm area.

For the wheels, look for bends or dings in the rims, spin them and watch to see if they spin true or wobble.

Not much you can do for internal engine parts or transmission other than look for smoke or weird noises.

good luck

Top Bottom