JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I'm looking for an enclosed trailer to replace my 5X10 open trailer. I want to be able to haul three bikes, all gear and tools, plus room for a workbench and a privacy stall.

I am thinking that a 7X14 is the smallest trailer that will work for me. I would consider anything up to an 18-footer. However, I'm told that if the trailer is wider than 7 feet, special mirrors are necessary to see around it.

Does anyone have any experience that would be useful? What brand of trailer do you like? Haulmark? Pace? Classic? Franklin? Interstate? Have you tried the 14 and found it too small? I'll hang up and listen.

mihousekey

Nov 14, 2001
I had the same problem deciding. After looking at all the makes, I picked Wells Cargo. For the simple reason of build quality. Yes they are more expensive than the rest but I feel that the extra cost was well worth it.

When looking at trailers, I noticed a big ride/towing difference with the type of suspension. The Wells' has a softer less bouncy ride because it does not use leaf springs - look at their web site, I think they show you their setup. Also, a interesting point... I sold mine a year later for $300 less than what I bought it for. So, I think that maintaining a higher resale is just as important factor as the bottom line price.:think Don't be afraid of the inital cost, like I was, because you will get that money back if you sell - I am sure.

I had a 7x14 and had build custom cabinets, a worktop with a sink and a toilet enclosure (using a chemical toilet). A lot better than using the stinky blue houses that's for sure. I only put one bike in mine but I think you will have room for three - even with the cabinets. But remember there is always more crap that you bring than necessary - so that too takes up room as well. Make sure you get the 6 foot ceiling and diamond plate front. Even if you have to wait for it to be special ordered. These alone are worth the money! Also keep in mind that the white color is easier to maintain, generic yes, but easier to maintain. Mine was black - nice, but showed every scratch. I had a hard time washing it without scratching it.

One last thing, in my experience, the ramp gate is a waste of money at a big cost of weight gain. Do without - carry a standard ramp - the deck height is not that high anyway. Oh, and it does get slippery with mud on it which is good for atleast one ACL injury... I've seen two people so far take hard falls on their ramp (riding boot soles, mud and wood don't mix) One put kitchen linoelium on their ramp. What were they thinking?

These are my opinions. Hope I was somewhat of a help.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I've got a 7x14 Pace with the "no wheel well" option. This gives me room to put 5 full size bikes in. I angle the bikes and use the ATK bike shoes. I have a workbench across the front and a full Craftsman tool cabinet underneath the right side of the bench. Above the bike shoes, I've mounted cabinets along the top of the trailer's left wall. I think the cabinets are 12 feet long.

It appears from your tag line that you have at least three big bikes.

I built my own ramp. It is full width but only five feet long. This makes it easier to drop the ramp in confined spaces. The ramp did get slick, so I painted it with a traction paint (sand in the paint) and that took care of slipping when it was wet or muddy.

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
there's a trailer localy for sale that is awesome. The front is shaped likea "V". each side of the V is a lay down door. They are ~ 4' wide. They have the cable assist. The rear also has the lay down gate w/assists. The benches, etc are already built in. as tony sais it's grreeaat

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
At the risk of sounding like a used car salesman. I know of 2 Haulmark trailers for sale in West Tn. Fellow DRN'er "leeinmemphis" sent me this yesterday:

2001 Haulmark 7x14 enclosed trailer, tandem axles, less than 1500 miles,
spare tire, came from factory with 2 wheel chocks for touring motorcycles. I
also installed 3 atk bike shoes for hauling dirt bikes. This trailer can
haul about 4 dirt bikes, 3 sportbikes, or 2 full dress touring bikes. Ipaid
$5500 for it in March and will sell it for $4000

2000 Haulmark 7x20 enclosed trailer, tandem axles, less than 100 miles,
mainly used for job storage in our business. Over $8500 new will sell it
for $4000

If interested his e-mail is lee@gusmus.com

Top Bottom