Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
well for the crank you premix the gas with 2 stroke premix oil

For the transmission/gearbox use a motorcycle specific tranny oil like the Honda hp or Torco or Belray or Maxima, etc....

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Not to thick, not to thin on the motor oil. Depends on the temperature outside. There are a bunch that swear by atf. What ever you use, change it a lot. I would steer clear of the synthetic miracle oils, with the exception of the big 3 name brand gear lubes, like the Hondaline/Yamalube/Kawasaki fluids. Vintage Bob

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Dont use motoroil for cars! its has friction modifiers that can cause issues with your clutch. Best bet is to use a designed oil for the motorcycle transmission. I have always used the Honda HP gearbox oil in everything. Never had issues.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Type F ATF works well and is very inexpensive so you can keep it changed without breaking the bank. ATF is made for an environment of gears, bearings & a wet clutch.... just like your bikes transmission.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I've been using Mobil1 10-40w non synthetic, would it be okay to switch to atf? My clutch has about 5 rides on it... what really works best?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
1998RM250 said:
I've been using Mobil1 10-40w non synthetic, would it be okay to switch to atf? My clutch has about 5 rides on it... what really works best?
if thats been giving you good results stick with it. but in my experience it is ok to switch as i have done so with no ill results. i switched a few times in the past til i found what worked best, i was looking to get rid of notchy shifts at the time. ended up with ATF type F. would have liked to stick with the mobil 10w just because you can get it anywhere and atf type f most times can only be found at auto parts stores in my area

Top Bottom