gthoma23

Apr 24, 2008
does anybody know how to tell the difference in fork springs? like the brand, and model/part number? i thought it would say on it, but it has nothing. so that makes me think they're stock.

the reason i ask is i found out that my shock spring is a 5.2kg from race tech, which is for a 200lbs rider, and i'm only 160. my bike is a 03 CR250 used obviously used. so do you guys think the fork springs are stock, and the previous owner just changed the shock spring? sounds dumb to me, but maybe that's how he likes it set up.

the manual says it will have notches to tell if it's aftermarket or not on the fork springs, which it doesn't. but my manual also said that if the top of the shock spring is black, it's a 4.9kg, which is stock according to all the online stuff, it says it comes with a 5.1kg. anyway, the top of mine is black, and it's not a 4.9kg, so now i don't believe it on the fork springs.

and ideas would help, thanx!

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Use MX-Tech's spring generator to find the rates for your weight. (just read you did that)

http://www.mx-tech.com/index.php?id=spring_generator

You can check the online auction (*bay) for used or buy new. Or check a local suspension guy and see if he will sell you a set of used springs. Thet normally have a bunch laying around.

It sounds like the previous owner set the springs for himself, start from scratch and you will know what you have.

New springs, front and rear, are about $200. Used are half that.

Top Bottom