What gas:oil ratio do you use for your 500?

Colt891

May 5, 2009
What oil:gas ratio do you use for your 500?

Hey guys. I have a Husqvarna XC500 2 stroke beast, and I was just wondering what gas:oil ratio you would recommended or what you use for your CR500's and KX500's. I usually add a little Turbo Octane 108 (http://www.autobarn.net/chna30.html) into the fuel as well.

Thanks, Colt

Last edited:

colotowyo499

Jun 7, 2007
I run Honda HP2 at 32:1. She likes the natural oil better than the synthetics at 50:1. I usually do octane boost as trick racing gas is hard to come by around here. I think you could just about run terpentine in a 500 before it pings though. A low octane level just doesn't appeal to me though.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
I run H1R at 32:1 in my '80 YZ 465.It likes it and pistons last forever.I'm a big fan of running tons of oil.More power and last longer.And compared to parts oil is cheap.

Colt891

May 5, 2009
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I think its a lot better on the engine to have a little too much oil than too little for sure. But yeah 32:1 sounds about right? :nod:

2strokes4life

Apr 1, 2009
Hey T Rex do you notice an improvement in 32:1 versus the 40:1 in the H1R. I used to run MC1 in my bikes years ago. I mixed it @ 50:1. When I got back into riding recently I was told H1R was better than MC1, so I switched. I called Belray and was told by their tech that 40:1 was sufficient. They said only to run 125's at 32:1 with H1R. I have a 1991 RM 250 and a 2002 CR 250. I wanted to run them both at 32:1 as the manual called for. He assured me that 40:1 was plenty with this synthetic oil. He said that 40:1 would offer plenty of protection of the internals. What do you think? Is there much of a jetting change between 32:1 and 40:1?

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
I ran 44:1 when I first got the bike with VP MR2 fuel.Tons of lead in that stuff.When I went back to pump gas (money issues) I went to 32:1.The bike just seemed happier.Because of the MR2 being oxygenated it only took a little tweaking when going back along with the heavier oil load.My YZs jetting is WAY off from stock jetting.2-3 kicks on a cold engine and it fires right up.Pulls cleanly from idle 'til my eyeballs are ready to pop out for the vibes.It was so fat that a new (leaner) needle jet/needle really cleaned up the big hit.There's still a step in the powerband but it doesn't disturb the chassis like it used to.Can ya tell I love that bike?

BTW there's a big difference between optimum and adequate.I can't seem to settle for just OK.I tweak until it goes backwards and then back up to the best set-up.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
In some respects, a 500 is a much less mechanically stressed engine compared to a smaller one.

I have run 50:1 with no problems, piston lasted nearly forever, not sure what oil but it was old tech because this was years ago. Or, you could be really really safe and run 32:1. Main thing is be consistent so you don't go in circles on the jetting.

I'm not very famliar with that specific bike but on most 500s I would not recommend low octane fuel. Some people like to run a blend of race fuel and pump premium, this should be very safe unless it is highly modified.

The old Yamahas would ping if you even looked at them sideways. I think they pinged even when the engine wasn't running.

Top Bottom