What gear do I need to get the boy?

CasterTroy

Feb 28, 2001
I've ridden motorcycles since I was 9yrs old.

Dad got me my first bike (Yamaha MX80G) for Christmas that year, and I've had 2 wheels ever since.

But after 23 years of riding on the street, I've finally tired of having gravel claim many of my bikes. The most recent was my prized R1150RT that I had decked out to the 9's. :bang:

So after much consideration I've decided to come BACK to dirt, and got myself and my son a couple of dirtbikes. But it's been 12 years since I've owned a dirtbike. And things have changed :yikes:

Neck braces? Chest protectors? Hell I thought I was well protected when I had steeltoes and a (faceless) helmet :whoa:

But I don't want to take chances with my boy.

He's 13, and MAYBE 90 pounds soaking wet. About 5'4" and he's been riding SOME for a few years. He started on a PW50 when he was 8 and road it occationally, but this will be his first "clutch" bike. He will ride a RMZ125, and I'll be with him on my RMZ450.

We're going to do trail rides mostly. Fire roads, open fields,but no motorcross. Neither he nor I are daring, nor do we want to do jumps or race.

Asside from the helmet/boots/gloves/riding pants, What OTHER gear do I need to get HIM?

Are the Ballistic Jerseys better than a chest protector and elbow protectors? Does he need a "race collar" neck protector if he's not racing and just riding in the woods?

Does wearing all this make him feel like Ralphies brother Randy?

All bundled up and unable to move?

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Sorry to hear about your bike but at least it led you back to dirt. You and your son are going to have lots of fun and many adventures. After breaking a few bones, I now ride with knee guards and a pressure suit on top along with the usual gear. I won't ride without all my gear, all the time. My movement is not hampered. I ride woods and mx tracks slowly but things happen quickly. It's better to be protected. Enjoy!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Goggles and knee guards too.
Been through a couple grow-too-fast sons here. I always put a priority on good quality helmet and boots, but they grow so fast. Look here in the "for sale gear and equipment" or perhaps a sponsor here... MX South.com. You can get good deals on clearence items that are usually last years stuff. Used is nice too.
Many dads are always shopping for deals to keep their kids in riding gear and I've never had to wait long for our sons outgrown gear to sell when I posted it in an ad... mini related stuff sells quick.

Top Bottom