What gear oil should i run in my KTM50lc

moto-x712

May 24, 2001
i just bought my son a ktm 50 lc and iam having a heck of a time with the thing . My latest problem is the clutch i cant keep it from slipping. Some guys say run 75w and others will go as thin as 7w ATF. The manual calls for 20w40. If new what oil to run i could rule that out and get on with dialing this clutch in. PLEASE HELP:(

Mark C.

Posts Too Much
Nov 1, 2000
I use Bel-ray gear saver in my bikes. No clutch problems at all. Only backfire that it's pretty expensive since I change my oil every often. Gear saver 75W would be good.

good luck.....:)

moto-x712

May 24, 2001
ITs not the same as the big bikes . I know what to run in the big bikes ive been running them for years , The problem is my kids are starting to ride and my oldest has a KTM50LC with a three pad Automatic clutch in it . Its a alot different then a big bike and it keeps slipping.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Did you buy the bike used?

moto-x712

May 24, 2001
Yes vic I did buy it New. I ve taken it back to the dealer a couple of times now , but unfortunatly they just have parts changers working there no real techs. Evereytime i ask them something they just look at me funny and go ask someone else . then they come back with some lame answere. The problem is that its a new model this year and nobody has had to much time with them yet.

Davie Mac

Feb 24, 2001
If the clutch is slipping a lot it needs looking at. The type of oil will not make that much difference to slipping, as nearly all motorcycle clutches run in nearly all types of oil . There are some types to avoid but I have not had any serious slipping problems from any motorcycle oil I have tried.
What kind of beer should I drink ?.....mmm? :think

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
An "EC" rated oil with friction modifiers could cause some trouble with that clutch. The first thing I would do is ask those loads at your dealer what kind of oil they put in there. As far as what kind you should put in there, I would just stick to what the manual says . Those little auto clutches never fully "lock up", so what you're experiencing might be normal for that bike.
I'm considering buying a KTM 50 and would be interested in knowing how this works out. Good luck. :)

Husarider

Jan 27, 2000
I don't have the new LC model but my son does race a KTM pro-senior. We use a special "dominator" oil sold locally made specifically for these clutches. It's pretty thin.
Here are two great resources: First "Premier Motorsports" these guys are great and know what they're talking about 602-867-8293.
Another resourse is www.cmmxr.com this is a website that deals only with 50cc machines and their bulliten board has been a help on a number of occasions.
Check it out, youll get answers.
Jon

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
KTM sells an oil made specifically for the 50LC, I believe that it's called K-Racing oil. The clutch in the LC has tiny little cupped washers that act as springs. As the motor revs these cupped washers will flatten out and engage the clutch. As the clutch wears, all the clutch material will get trapped in the cupped washers not allowing them to flatten out anymore and your clutch will slip. The springs must be cleaned on a regular basis for optimum clutch performance. The clutch works the best with an outer diameter (from clutch shoe to clutch shoe) of aprrox. 82mm, as the clutch wears it becomes smaller therefore you must shim the clutch shoes back to 82mm for proper stall speed and engagement.

Top Bottom