what happens when a plane crashes into your house?

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
talk about damn the luck. a very good friend of mine has his house under contract and closing was to be this friday 6th. today (wed 4th)at 6:15am a twin engine plane nosedived into his carport at a very high rate of speed. demolished his truck (had it for two weeks), gambler bass boat, and a mustang. the concussion blew out the windows of the house. shrapnel from the imploding plane went through the house along with a full load of av gas. the pilots bad day was terminal. needless to say my buddy is quite rattled and depressed. the news crews and ntsb have been swarming the house from the beginning.

like a good american all i want to know is who is going to pay for it? he cant go in the house and it will be awhile before its livable. all of their vehicles are trashed and have no transportation. on top of all that, the house deal is iced. maybe some of yall can enlighten me of to the "who pays for what". does his homeowners cover it? if you fly, do you have liability insurance that pays for it? what about the lost deal as far as selling the house? is there a chance that someone will settle for the value of the house? ect. ect.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by tx246
if you fly, do you have liability insurance that pays for it?

i'll ask my wife. she used to work for an aviation insurance company.

she said they have liability and property damage insurance but she doesn't think the property damage is mandatory.

Last edited:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I don't know much about airplanes, but I do know that a lot of small planes flying around are leased. Could be that the owner is a big corporation with deep pockets and has insurance.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by VintageDirt
I don't know much about airplanes, but I do know that a lot of small planes flying around are leased. Could be that the owner is a big corporation with deep pockets and has insurance.

:( Man that bites! Especialy this time of year. VD if that is the case they can also fight the claim and blame it on pilot error. If it is ruled as mechanical failure then they will try to hit up the maintenance service utilized by the feild.
It will probably lead to a long claims process, I just hope there is a happy ending to it.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Didn't I see this in a Robin Williams movie? Something about it's a good thing. . . . a plane-proof house. . . . cause what are the odds of getting hit by TWO planes?

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Interesting...I have a brother who baught into a co-op, for use of a airplane. I'm positive when discussing the details, it included insurance, for such an event.

sigar

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
Okay, one of my job descriptions is corporate pilot. First of all liability or property damage insurance is NOT mandatory. It is perfectly legal to fly without any insurance at all. However, depending on the year and model of the aircraft you are looking at an airplane worth a minimum of a couple hundred thousand dollars to a few million dollars. Anyone with the money needed to own such an airplane is probably pretty prudent and will certainly have obtained insurance, or if it is financed, the lender will definately require insurance. But, there is a catch, just because insurance was bought doesn't mean they are required to pay, numerous variables come into play. For example, was the pilot drunk, under the influence of drugs, in possession of a valid pilots certificate with the appropriate ratings, and the appropriate medical certificate. I'm sure it will all work out well for your friend, but I'm sure it will take a while to sort through everything. My advice is for him to contact his homeowners insurance company and make a claim. That way it is big insurance company vs. big insurance company.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
thanks for the replies............ sigars advice is already in action. the homeowners people are taking care of the house and car insurance is taking care of the vehicles. i guess the ntsb has to make a call as far as "who's fault it really is" pilot error or mechanical. the pilot did radio two miniutes before he went down saying he couldnt maintain the attitude(not altitude)of the plane. the plane was flying freight. the whole thing is a mess but at least the loss of life was at a minimum. lools like murphy's law is in effect here.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom