Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I would think after after watching for the past year & 1/2, I would know better than to try somethng as streaneous as racing when I am already dog tired. Tigger & I spent the night at the track Friday night here in Waco so I could get up and ride till my hearts content Saturday morning. With the new time change in effect it has left me with no time to ride during the week and I have been going through withdrawals. Got up at the crack of dawn Saturday and rode for about 4 hours. Got home about noon and cleaned the bikes up, mowed the grass, cleaned out the garage, started washing clothes and proceeded to exhaust what energy I had left. The phone rings and my buddy says, "lets go to Mosier Valley for some night racing, we gotta leave at 3:00 to get there." Sure, I'll be ready. I figure a shower might refresh me, got to smell good for the races. :p

We end up at Mosier just before 6pm just in time for practice and I'm still worn out, how could this be? I've never seen this track & it looks great! We head out and it rides as good as it looks. 1st practice is over and I feel really good about the ride but I'm still tired.:confused: 2nd practice is staging and I figure I need more time on the track. It's only 2 laps so I figure it will keep me from falling asleep. By the time these 2 laps are over I can't hardly lift my bike on the stand. I'm in race 5 so I get a few minutes to recoop. Before I know it I'm back at the gate with the 125 revved anticipating my great start, the gate drops and I'm on my way. I stay toward the front for about half a lap, without seeing anyone pass me I notice there is no one behind me, where did they go? I must have fallen asleep or something. I'm having trouble staying in the ruts on the corners and down I go. Here come a couple of riders but I can't lift my bike up out of the dirt.:eek: I finally get back up and get the thing started and cross the finish line, I'm so tired!

2nd moto: The gate drops and I get a great start! Into the first turn & I nail it. Up the long hill and I'm flying, this is great! Don't ask me what happened on the next 2 laps cause I couldn't tell you, every corner I'm getting more & more sloppy. I'm going into the corners and running out of the ruts loosing traction. The 3rd lap just before the finish line I fall over, this time I keep it running but I can't lift the thing. Finally I get it up (don't tease me) and I only have 1 more lap then I can go home. It feels like my handle bars are bent but I know they aren't. I finally finish and immediatly head to the truck to change, I'm starving and have no energy left.
I ended up with a 2nd over all and a real nice trophy to remind me of my 4th MX ever, only thing is there was only 2 people in my class. I guess I should be thankfull that I finished unharmed but I'm a little dissapointed because I know I can ride better than I did. The 2 hour drive home was long and I couldn't go to bed without cleaning up my bike & gear.

In summary, I loved the track @ Mosier and would love to ride it again only next time you can bet I won't do a 4 hour motocross warm up that morning, mow the yard, clean the house, wash the clothes etc before I try it. I think my body will be paying for this day at least untill the middle of this week.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by KXKen
Jeff, after I ride for 4 hours it takes me 2 days to recover.

Hey Ken, I'm still recovering.That was the biggest part of the problem Sat night, I had no time to recover.:silly: At any rate I had a blast.

I hope I'm not going to regret this weekend. It's the last weekend of night racing at Mosier Valley which is Sat night and I want to do Burleson Sunday morning. I'm hoping after a nights sleep I'll be okay. What has me worried is my best friend in my band is about to graduate college for the 2nd time this December and will be moving away. This will put an end to an eight year old band and some of the most memorable times of my life. To top it off once a year the two of us get together for a totally non band related night and it's on the schedule for this Friday night. It's an all out event, the kind you wonder why you did it the next day.:confused:

Since I'm a single kinda guy and his wife will be out of town for the week I have a feeling things might get just a little crazy in a guys night out kind of way. I plan to watch my alcohol intake and try to call it a night at a somewhat more reasonable hour than in previous years otherwise I may not be good for Saturday night racing. I'll just have to play it by ear.:debil:

Last edited:

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert

Hey Ken, I'm still recovering.That was the biggest part of the problem Sat night, I had no time to recover.:silly: At any rate I had a blast.

What has me worried is my best friend in my band is about to graduate college for the 2nd time this December and will be moving away. This will put an end to an eight year old band and some of the most memorable times of my life. To top it off once a year the two of us get together for a totally non band related night and it's on the schedule for this Friday night. It's an all out event, the kind you wonder why you did it the next day.:confused:

Since I'm a single kinda guy and his wife will be out of town for the week I have a feeling things might get just a little crazy in a guys night out kind of way. I plan to watch my alcohol intake and try to call it a night at a somewhat more reasonable hour than in previous years otherwise I may not be good for Saturday night racing. I'll just have to play it by ear.:debil:

Glad you had a good time Jeff. Racing is always cool wheather you do well or not (at least to me anyway).

Now lets face a little reality here Jeff. We are both guitarists (I think you know what I mean) and from what your describing of this situation it sounds like you should just go have fun with the band mate and forget about racing the next day. You'll be glad you hung out with your friend and (if your anything like me) you won't regret spending the time with somebody that you had so many great memories with.

Enjoy Jeff we only go around this thing called life once.

Top Bottom