What I just heard about the new Honda CRF230

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Any other news on the new Honda CRF230?

Talked to my local dealer (Gary Roe, Hillsboro Honda) last night, and they've been told .... *this* September. Which is good, because they announced it *last* September. <grin>

What I know so far:
- basically the same frame/stuff as the current XR200
- disc brake up front (good!)/drum brake in rear (rats.)
- electric start (awesome!)/will add some more weight (rats.)
- will be a true 229cc (current XR motor is actually 195cc)
- looks like the same oingo-boinger suspenders (rats.)
- riding ergos *might* be a little better (good)
- engine is the version being made in Brazil and is reputed to be much tougher than current XR200 motor offerred in US. Why? Because they *know* it wouldn't get regular, complete service and designed it *tougher. Apparently some of the XR200 weaknesses have been fixed as well (shifter, kickstarter gears, etc.)

We are interested in this bike as:
a) plugging the CRF230 motor into Susan's BBR200 to gain electric start and displacement (ooooohh......)
b) to possibly buy and then upgrade the suspension (doing so would gain larger wheels - 21" up front, 17" in the back)

Still leaning towards keeping the BBR because it's the perfect size for Susan, incrdibly rugged (she *tests* it .... a lot....<g> ), handles great, and is very light (currently it weighs 190lbs w/o gas).

For all ladies/guys looking at their next trail bike, starter bike, or a great starting point for a kick-butt "project bike" -- do keep an eye on this one!

Best yet... it's only ~ $100 more than the XR200! That, and the fact that it has BNGs!

Cheers! -- E-Ticket

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Thanks!

Let's see... the weight (from XR200R) went from 223 to 238. oof!! Shoot, my KTM 400 MXC only weighs 246...!

And seat height went gained .6" as well. Boy, that's not going to help the ladies much...

On the plus side, it now has full 21"/18" wheels! That's a plus.

Okay. $3299 for the bike. And $1500 to fix the suspenders, ride height, and knock off 15 lbs. hmmmm.......

<grin> - E-Ticket

cabe227

May 27, 2001
i heard the bikes a pig, not motorcross material at all. but i dont moto so what am i worried about?? hare scrambles all the way! 2003 CRF 450 on the way

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Howdy OAS,

Yeah.... 15 lbs. is significant. When you're my wife. She 5'2" and weighs ~115 lbs. Any extra weight adds to the times that I have to pick it up. <grin> Or the adds to the times she can't save it due to the extra heft.

Her BBR200 only weighs 190lbs. The jump to the CRF230 (for the bigger wheels, larger motor, e-button) would only add .... let's see... about 48lbs.

I guess that's not too bad.... no quite half of Susan's total body weight.

OOF! <grin> And... unless it got's killer suspension and brakes - I won't be able to pry her BBR away from her.

Cheers! - rb

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
It will be a disappointment. We have had in Australia a SL230, same motor stuffed in what appears to be a XR200 frame and now called a CRF. It will be like the Yamaha TTR225. Enough said.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by E-Ticket :
"Yeah.... 15 lbs. is significant. When you're my wife. She 5'2" and weighs ~115 lbs.
Her BBR200 only weighs 190lbs. "

About the same size as my ex-wife.
Although she rode a '73 CL-175.
(steel tank, steel fenders, etc.)
I think it was a tad little bit over 200 lbs.
(LOL probably closer to 300 lbs.) :eek:
She loved it! Actually i loved it too, we rode the piss out of that thing. :)
Tracey used to say, "if you cant lift it, dont be riding it."
Although she's riding Harleys now.................... :ugg:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
PERSONALLY, unless you already have a BBR, the 150 will be the way to go. The difference in weight will balance the CC difference. Plus more things are available for the 16" rear tire than a 17". And I'm sure those guys at BBR are cooking up tons of cool stuff for it.

The manufacturers are getting closer to making a decent bike for shorter, lighter trail riders but not quite yet. I don't see why can't they just put the 80 bigwheel suspension/wheels/brakes/etc on there? Seems to make sense to me, plus they'd save $ from only manufacturing one kind of suspension instead of one for the two stroke and one for the four. But hey, since men run most of those companies, they don't always do things the easy, efficient way. ;)

Honda, Yamaha, Suzu-Kawasaki, are you listening? Get on it!

Top Bottom