Dirk Diggler

Jun 28, 2001
I have read a lot about this little bike on this forum. I have not heard anything about this bike in Australia. So could someone please fill me in on what it is.
I see ads for performace gear for the bike as well.
If it is a learners bike, why boost the performance?

Or do you guys just like cutting sick on a little bike?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
Or do you guys just like cutting sick on a little bike?

That pretty much sums it up :)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Part of the popularity of hopping up the little bike is because in addition to a learner's bike, it is also popular with the vertically challenged. Unless you want a two-stroke, there aren't many "real" bikes available with seat heights of less than 36". The XRs are kinda heavy and dated, their only advantage over the TTR being the full-size front wheel on the 200. So let's say a gal who's 5'2" wants to learn to ride, and pretty soon she's wanting more performance, but doesn't want to sell it and buy a different bike because the next step up is a big one--either a 125 2-stroke or the 250F. Hence the aftermarket industry steps in. Also, a lot of racetracks are introducing mini bike classes with cc limits of 150.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
All it takes to understand the allure of the TTR125 is to spoon a set of street tires on the rims and go find and empty parking lot during a rainstorm. The grin on your face from getting it sliding sideways at full lock is hard to describe.

Moto fun comes in all shapes and sizes :)

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
We have a couple of TTRs and an XR100. They are great little bikes. I know the TTR's have a bit more omph and suspension, but man I still love riding the XR100!

Dirk Diggler

Jun 28, 2001
Thanks you have set it clear for me.

Australia is usually a couple of years behind the US, so I might start seeing these bikes pop up in a couple of years.

Rich,
Road tyres on a TTR in the wet. Cool. I should try that on my 520:p

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
Thanks you have set it clear for me.

Australia is usually a couple of years behind the US, so I might start seeing these bikes pop up in a couple of years.

Rich,
Road tyres on a TTR in the wet. Cool. I should try that on my 520:p

Well they are slightly modified road tires. I handcut them to make them a little more dirt/rain worthy. :)

handcut_1M.jpg

It's slowly turning into a Mini-Motard bike.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Rich, do you have that much time on your hands? I handcut a tire last summer to race flat track on and wow, that took a while, and it wasn't a treadpattern like that at all.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by firecracker22
Rich, do you have that much time on your hands?

I don't sleep much :)

Dirk Diggler

Jun 28, 2001
It's 2pm over here. It must be early in the morning in the US.

Those tyres look cool.

I will have to keep an eye out for the TTR next time I am at a race. Sounds like cheap fun.

Top Bottom