What is sag?

instin

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2002
Hello,

I have a new 2003 KDX220 and am trying to get the right suspension for my weight (260Lbs). What is sag?

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
My wife saw this topic and said it needed a smart-a$$ reply...but I wouldn't oblige..something about being over thirty or something...idunno, i wasn't listening... ;)

I think she's still bitter about twisting her knee on the whoops last weekend..

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
There are two types of sag that you are interested in looking for: free sag and race sag.

Free sag is the difference between a fully extended suspension (on the stand) and an unloaded suspension (off the stand without any weight). Look for around 20 to 30 mm of free sag in the rear suspension and 10 to 15 mm in the front.

Race sag is the difference between an unloaded suspension and YOU (with ALL of your normal riding gear on) sitting on the bike. You are looking for about 95 to 100 mm (total, not in addition to free sag) of race sag in the rear and about 65 to 75 mm in the front.

These numbers are off the top of my head. If someone has better numbers let me know. It helps to have three people when setting sag.(1) One to take the measurements (2) One to hold the bike for you and (3) Yourself.

Hope this helps.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Once your shock sag is set, you can tell from the free sag measurement that results if the spring is the correct rate for your bod.

If the free sag is much over what rv6 mentions it's an indication your shock spring rate is too high (you've cranked the spring down so much to get TO 100mm race sag that just sitting there it's squished too much).

If the free sag is much under what rv6 mentions, it's an indication your shock spring rate is too low (you've backed off the spanner rings so much to get TO 100mm race sag that just sitting there it's way too long).

@260, neither the shock or the fork springs in an oem kdx are suitable for you. You will NOT be able to adjust the shock to correct sag levels. ..and the forks will be worse.

Rule of thumb..the oem kdx is setup for a 180# rider on the shock, and 135# on the fork.

Yeah...balanced out of the box, 'eh?

re: smart-posteriored response

Obviously a request from a person that doesn't know what sag is (having no personal experience in the matter), and wants to read of other's misfortune. ;)

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The springs might be right for 135#, but that doesn't make the forks 'spot on' for sure.

Stuff like 30-35mm preload will likely want tweaking.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…