What is the Best 250 Fourstroke To Buy?

Stryke

Jul 19, 2005
Me and my dad had a good chat. He says we are going with the 250 fourstroke. My quad will sell for 5200 canadian and i am looking at getting a 250 fourstroke for around that price. I came to find those located around the year 2001-2003. During those years what was the best 250 fourstroker money could buy. Was it the 250f, or the crf250(not sure when it came out). Can u recommend any good pointers to look for when getting a 250 fourstroke and comparing the bikes?

thx for any help. im this ____ :bang: ____ :ride: much closer now to a bike.

Last edited:

n_w t_ b_kes

May 31, 2005
The only bike would be the YZ250F, which would be the best anyway. Most reliable, only 250F from 01-03 so your only choice. This bike will have a good amount of low end and will rev out pretty good from what I have heard. Good choice, by the way. These bikes are really easy to begin on. Try to get a deal on an older model at a dealership. If you try hard enough, you might be able to get an 04 or an 05 from them because the 06's should be out or be out soon. I have heard from other people that all the 250F's besides the YZ-F are money pitts. They are a lot less reliable and dont perform as good, that's what I hear. Since you are getting a 250F (if you get 03 your only choice will be YZ-F, but if you could get a newer for about that price) get the YZ250F unless you have a whole bunch of money to back you up for repairs. You should actually have money to back you up with all 250F's. If you do get used try to get one that has hardly been ridden or has been completely renewed.

Stryke

Jul 19, 2005
yes from what i see there are 2 yzfs from 01' there is 1 from 03' and there is 1 from 02', were probly going to motorsports today so we can wheel and spheel there. ;)

Stryke

Jul 19, 2005
there is a 04 crf250 with a pc pipe in there for a good price. when if so did the crf250r become better than the yz250f? or is the yz the best one for all years.

n_w t_ b_kes

May 31, 2005
The CRF has won a lot of shootouts in magazines. When it came out (in '04) it had won most of the 250f shootouts, I think. It is a good bike, just not reliable. I have a friend with one, he has had it for about a year and hasn't had any real problems with it. If you change the oil after every ride and clean the air filter every 1 or 2 rides it should last you a while. You just have to keep up with the maintenance and it should last you a while. Especially if your not revving it out all of the time, it should last you a while. Make sure it's in good condition. I think you should get others opinions also.

The YZ-F is one most people say is best because it's got a good motor, suspension and more reliable than others. In Motocrossaction Magazine's shootouts they rated the YZ250F the best 250f because it had best suspension and motor. The CRF has won more shootout's than the YZ, but they don't really rate reliability. They are probably equal in performance so whatever you want to do.

agrass582

Jun 7, 2005
You really can't go wrong with either of those bikes. Both very comparable and about the same price. If you can get into an 04 and be in the price range that you want to be in, take that into consideration. Now it's up to you to decide which team you want to fly with, Blue or Red. I have a soft spot for the Honda's, but that's only my pick.

Top Bottom