what is the biggest rear sprocket for a 125

rmrider45

Sep 8, 2008
time to put new chain and sprockets on my 125 the rear atm i think is a 48. the biggest i found was a 52 tooth.?do they go any bigger than a 52 .i hope to get a little more out of the bike with a bigger rear sprocket. will i see a difference when i am climbing those coal banks with a bigger sprocket? :ride: :ride:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Renthal goes up to a 54 for your bike. Yes you will have more grunt the bigger you go but you'll also run out of gearing a lot quicker. Hillclimbing for me on a 125 was always about speed and momentum versus bottom end grunt.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
And a bigger rear sprocket will bring all the gears closer together... you'll be doing a lot more shifting. I would suggest going up no more than two teeth in the rear. A little motor work like a shorty silencer, low-end reeds, shaving some material off the base of the cylinder, a little more head-pipe length, a big bore kit, will most likely serve you better. But as said, speed and momentum is key when riding a 125.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
I have a gear ratio chart on my KDX resources page http://www.visualize.co.nz/kdx200
You can go and download it (it's an Excel spread sheet) and input your bikes data and it will give you some pretty good gearing information to help you make your choice.
If you don't have Microsoft Office it will run in OpenOffice which is free.

Hope that helps.

PS. 2-Strokes 4-ever, Preach it bro.

rmrider45

Sep 8, 2008
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
And a bigger rear sprocket will bring all the gears closer together... you'll be doing a lot more shifting. I would suggest going up no more than two teeth in the rear. A little motor work like a shorty silencer, low-end reeds, shaving some material off the base of the cylinder, a little more head-pipe length, a big bore kit, will most likely serve you better. But as said, speed and momentum is key when riding a 125.

speed and momentum is key when riding a 125. yep i have to hit the hill real fast to hit the power band or i wont get up the hill
btw the bike is bored 080 over with fmf fatty front with a stock silencer and has low end reeds ,hot rod crank ,hinson clutch

just i thought i could climb hills better in 3rd gear instead of 2nd with a bigger sprocket .now i have to use 2nd gear 3rd dont seem to have it.btw most of these hills i climb dont have much runway

rmrider45

Sep 8, 2008
01HondaCR said:
Sell it and buy a 250? Sounds like you have the wrong bike for what you are wanting to do with it.
true. but trying to sell the 125 will not be easy due to the fact that there are lots for sale atm.

Top Bottom