What is the Difference, cuz i want a KTM

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
THIS IS A GARBLED POST, BUT PLEASE HELP I am seriously considering buying a KTM this month since my XR won't start when hot. It put me out of a race, stupid pile. Anyways, i want a harescramble/enduro 250. I friend with a 300 E/XC said that if i'm gonna still compete in harescrambles i should go with a M/XC cuz of the close-ratio tranny. I still kinda want the E/XC but i don't know which. I know the difference between the E/XC and the M/XC but if i did get the M/XC, what is the difference between it and a SX? I am so confused, but i don't want a bike that i cant handle in the woods so that's why i'm considering the E/XC for longer-ratio and flywheel weight. I ride very tight and some slightly open trail, which is best for me? Can i jump at all with the E/XC?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Look for a previous post on the EXC / MXC subject. Go to www.ktmusa.com for specs on all bikes. I have not ridden a MXC for comparison but my EXC jumps just fine! They are great bikes and worth the money. The EXC would be easier to get used to after the XR—that’s what I had to start with, and the heavier flywheel makes the EXCs easier to lug down the way you did your four-stroke. Although they are NOT slow by any means! They will do anything you ask them to.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
You can jump an EXC just fine. A friend of mine races his 250 EXC in mx races all the time. I use mine as a mx bike as well quite a bit.

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
Does anyone with they had shorter gears while in the REAL tight stuff? I don't want to be boggin the 250 all the time like i do now, it's ok on my tractor XR and want to still be able to do that. Thanks

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I've never had a bogging problem in the tight stuff. The wide spread of power this bike has is great. It is easier for me to ride my KTM in tight stuff than my XR I had was. They are a true go anywhere, do anything bike.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
As I posted a few weeks ago, the ratios on the 250 MXC and EXC are the same per my '99 owner's manual. No decision to be made based on the gearing.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
agitt73:
Many parts can be had by aftermarket companies and several things from Honda can be used such as brake pads, throttle cables, and clutch plates. Maintaining my KTM is no more expensive than my other bikes. OEM parts from KTM are expensive but there are not too many times you need OEM parts on a KTM.

One thing I do like about my EXC is that I can gear it way low for tight trails but still have a tall top gear for open stretches. If I remember right my 300 EXC has the same gears as the MXC in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. 4th and 5th are were they get taller (maybe 3rd is the split). If the trail is so tight that 1st and 2nd gear are too tall you're never going to hit 4th or 5th anyway. I think the EXC has a little more versitility than the MXC if you ride a big variety of terrain.

Last edited:

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
With the stock 14/50 gearing my 300EXC is a bit tall in 1st and in tight trail work the 2/3 shift could use some help. Next time around will be 13/50 or 14/52 to remedy both situations. I've recorded 84 MPH with the 14/50, so top speed will not suffer on the EXC after this change for what I do with the bike.

Again, on the 250, unless they changed for 2000 or 2001 the MXC and EXC HAVE THE SAME GEARING!!! On the 300 1st and 2nd are the same (15:29, 18:26). The rest are as follows:
Gear EXC MXC
3 19:22 19:24
4 21:20 21:23
5 23:18 23:21

On the 380, the gearboxes are the same respective to the 300. The book does show the 380 using a different primary gear ratio (25:72 for the 250/300, 26/72 for the 380) which I suspect is a typo but will have to consult the parts book to clarify.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
TexKDX:
Maybe they did change it. KTM's site has the 250 EXC listed as having the wide-ratio tranny for 2001 and the MXC as having the close-ratio SX tranny. Maybe someone with a 2000 or 2001 has the info.

I run 14/52 on my 300 and it works well in tight stuff with more speed than I need on top. It won't pull 5th very well in deep sand but 4th gives me as much as I need. I might try 13/52 or 13/50 and see if 5th pulls better in the deep stuff. If I really need to go insanely fast in the deep sand I just jump on the CR500.

Last edited:

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
Thanks guys! you are a lot of help. I think i will probably go with the 250 E/XC since my XR250 did 69 m.p.h. and 84m.p.h. geared down sounds just dandy, i rarely get up top unless i'm between trails in the gravel. But i don't know if i'm going to miss the 6th gear from my XR. I always had a lot of options and i liked that, hope i'm not dissapointed. :)

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
You shouldn't miss the six speed from the XR at all. Fifth gear on my 250 exc is only for seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. It goes way fast in fifth.

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
This is for you guys with 250 e/xc 's especially IdKTM, do you have to worry about the front tire coming up in tight up hill slopes and such? I only weigh 150 but plan on having this bike a LONG time and really growing into it. My XR was never really problem but i worry that if i gear it down some it'll have too much bottom that will just get me in trouble, is this true? THANKS

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I'm maybe 165-170 pounds with my gear on so your weight shouldn't be a real big issue. The power on these bikes is in direct relation to how far you turn the throttle. No real surprises, quite controllable. I don't think I've ever had my front tire come up on a hill when I didn't want it to. One of the reasons I got off my XR 250 was because of problems with hills. On the XR's you just can't get far enough forward. The KTM allows you to get the weight forward and rewards you with an easier ride.

Top Bottom