MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Perhaps if you still like the 2-stroker feel and response you might look at a KDX. I've ridden the KTM and I just don't like thier feel. I love my KDX 200... I can keep up with most on the trails, it's got plenty of top end, and it's still fairly light.

As for cost goes, it's a bargain as well :) The guy I bought mine from moved up (so he thinks) to the KTM200. He's not really any faster in the woods...

Again, as others have mentioned, its 10% bike, 90% who's holding on to it, but in theory, you could tone down the bike a tad with the KDX, and keep the 2 stroke feel if that's what you like.

I know I do.

I ride with a lot of 4 strokers. My fathers DR is way too frickin heavy. My Uncles WR426 feels light when you ride it but it too is a tad heavy, and if you un-cork it, it's down right mean. My Cousins YZ426 is mean and should prolly be illegal :). With both the YZ and a WR you almost need a degree to start em. They have more levers, hot start, cold start, and both are a bitch to kick. My other bud has an XR200 and it's a girls bike thorugh and through.

I'll keep my KDX 200 :)

bwiers

Jul 3, 2001
Neal,

The Lord be with you as you recoup. I had to whince as I read your post. There has been a lot of good info. given as part of this reply. My $0.02 is:
Go with the 300 EXC. It is a great ride with low end power if you find yourself in trouble. It can be made street legal fairly easily and it has tthat great two stoke feel. Just my opinion. Best wishes!!

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
Thanks for all of the advice

I really appreciate all of the useful advice everyone has given and thanks for refraining from all of the bad jokes.

I am really up in the air about what I am going to do. Yesterday morning I was convinced that I wanted to sell my bike and buy a four stroke and make it street legal. By 4:00 in the afternoon I had decided to just keep my bike and tune it down a bit. I'm thinking a flywheel weight and larger back tire will make it a better lugging bike even though it already does that pretty well for a two stroke.

My good friend and main riding buddy is trying to convice me to keep my bike and just calm down a bit, like some of you said. My problem is that every since I started racing, I am not happy unless I am going faster than the last time I rode. I have made a lot of progress in the last couple of years with this attitude but it has also got me into a lot of trouble. I know I won't be happy just putting around all of the time but now that I am not going to worry about racing any more, I won't feel like I have to push myself to my limits all of the time. If I ever do race again it will be purely for fun.

I probably won't make up my mind for sure until I start riding again, which could easily be a month or two away. I'm still hurting pretty bad and I'm still on bed rest.

Thanks again for all of your advice and support.

Neal

Last edited:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Neal,

I have a Steahly flywheel weight on my EXC 300. I have all the low end tourque I could ask for in a bike. My riding buddies refer to it as a tractor because the rear wheel is throwing dirt and rocks with every blip of the throttle. I would recommend a flywheel weight.

Mike

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Slow down and go faster.

I am no longer a racer but when I rode enduroes that phrase was the best advice I was given. I used to go like hell but crash a lot and mess up my bike. I even trophied some of the times but if you don't finish you will never win. The key to any racing is to be as smooth as you can. If you don't fall down you don't expend extra enery getting restarted and having to deal with bent parts or broken ones to finish. After I worked on becoming smooth I ended up winning my class often and even won a B-Hi Point. I left riding for 17 years up until this spring when I bought a new bike. I fell down the first two times I rode this spring, mostly because the darn bike is so tall and I'm only 5"4" tall, but after those first 2 rides I have not fallen once and I get though the woods pretty good. (I am not as fast as fatherandson that just posted ahead of me, I'm one of his riding buddies and he's real fast. He roosts us with that big 'ol EXC 300 so maybe the flywheel is a good idea.)

I'm 46 years old and can pretty much hold my own with most folks we ride with and thats because I never fall and ride smooth. I have a lot of fun too. So just remember...slow down and go faster! :D

Good luck!

Fred

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
200exc alternative?

of course you realize that when you ask your question of 30 different fellows, you're gonna get 30 different "the bike i ride is the best for you" answers.

well..., here's another one.

if you're gonna start riding for fun & racing only as a sideline..., and you just GOTTA turn the exc over..., swallow your pride & try a KDX. i think you'd be surprised that with a little bolt-on hotrodding, these little "wife's bike's" are a whole bunch of fun, bullet-proof, comfortable, light, plenty juicy, and with a gas range approaching 90 miles on the stock tank

i tried a buddy's '99 exc200 at a poker run this spring and was very pleasantly surprised. the engine on those things is GREAT!! i thought it pulled a little cleaner off the bottom, than my kdx220 (but then..., the 220 is running a rev-pipe, so it's not running with all it's low-end potential). the fellow i switched bikes with outran me handily on my 220 (but since he's a AA rider, and i'm a base novice..., he could probably outrun me on a 1966 banana-seat bicycle with ape-hangers).

you might consider just keeping the exc and softening it up a little. get some softer seat foam so you can actually sit in relative comfort, and have somebody set up the forks & shock for slow(er) & easy(er).

hope you heal up well! and next summer..., come to oregon for the funky chicken national hare scramble!

borsy

May 17, 2000
I think you ought to look into a DRZ400, it is a very user friendly bike
it has great power is very plush and you don't have to ride it agressively.
it handles and turns fantastic, you don't notice the weight riding it.
only until you dump it, or stall it and have to push it will you notice the weight.
I too raced until a serious accident, I promised to get out for good, well
after 2 years and finally getting to ride some new models, I purcahed the DRZ
for a good all around bike, and thats exactly what it is !!!!

Top Bottom