Status
Not open for further replies.

drexebo

Apr 27, 2007
My '93 CR80 runs fine until I put it in gear and try moving around. I get about 20 yards before the spark plug stops working and the bike won't start again.

When I pull the spark plug out, tip/electrode is black and wet like it was dipped in dirty oil. If clean it, the bike will start and do the same thing... run until I put it in gear.

I installed a new plug and was able to ride around for about 2 minutes before I shut it off thinking I had solved my problem. Today I found out I was wrong :)

I just cleaned my carb so fuel flow is not a problem... if anything it seems like it's getting too much fuel, although the air screw seems to be functional and I can lean the mixture up as much as I want and the spark plug will still come out covered in black liquid.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? :bang:

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
How long have you had the bike? Did it always have this problem or did it just start? Did you do anything to it before this started happening? Has it ever been rebuilt? Who mixed the gas? What ratio are you running? Did you clean the carb because of this or did this start after you cleaned it? At any time while owning the bike...did it run right? The more info you give, the better the members here can help you.

drexebo

Apr 27, 2007
RocketRaccoon said:
How long have you had the bike? Did it always have this problem or did it just start? Did you do anything to it before this started happening? Has it ever been rebuilt? Who mixed the gas? What ratio are you running? Did you clean the carb because of this or did this start after you cleaned it? At any time while owning the bike...did it run right? The more info you give, the better the members here can help you.

thanks for the interest. I could have said more but I didn't want the first post to be too long to want to read.

I've had the bike for many years. I'm almost 20 now and the last time I tried to ride it I was at most 14. The last time it ran was probably a couple years earlier. I stopped riding it because it just wouldn't start, but I suspect it might have been for the same reason it won't start now (after I ride it 50 feet).

It's never been rebuilt. I've tried 2 types of fuel in the bike. One was about a 25:1 premix with some old gas I found in the garage to which I continued to add unmixed gasoline to see if too much oil was the problem. This didn't help, so I made another premix today with fresh 93 octane and a different oil (I think it's called HR1) at about a 30:1 ratio.

I cleaned the carb since the bike had been sitting for so long since I last tried to start it. From my recollection, the last time I actually rode it rode it, it never had any problems. I probably let it sit for a couple months before trying to ride again. Maybe I left the fuel valve on?

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
Im going to try to help to the best of my abilities, but I am no expert and there are many members (and MODS) that are far more qualified than I. First...I would get a fresh gallon of 93 octane fuel and mix (using measuring device) to Hondas recommended ratio (I think 32:1) to be sure its not a fuel/oil issue. Be sure to drain out all of the crap fuel you put into your tank. Just pouring an unknown amount of oil into the fuel could easily be your problem. Next...you say you had it for many years and that it had never been rebuilt. You also said that you stopped riding it because it just wouldn't start. You might want to check the compression to see if you need a new top end. Im not sure of what it should be for a CR80. I did find another post that said around 150psi is good. If your compression is good, I would turn back to the carb. Thats about all I can think of right now. Hope that helps. :cool:

drexebo

Apr 27, 2007
Thanks RocketRacoon. I made a fresh 93 octane mix today at about 30:1 (measured). I don't have a compression tester yet, but I'm pretty sure it's still good enough not to be the deal breaker. It still takes the same amount of effort to kick through on the kick starter as it did when I was little.

What confuses me is that it ran for a couple minutes like a champ right after I put the new spark plug in! The next day I came back to ride it again and it shut off after about 20 seconds of driving (moving). However, I can still rev it all to hell after I clean off the oily spark plug and leave it in neutral. :coocoo:

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
Sounds like your fouling plus from a poorly adjusted float level. Have you ever adjusted the float level? if you dont know what it is then changes are you didnt. Try starting it in neutral and put it first and kleep it up high in the powerband and shift through the gears.

I think your problem is that your getting too much fuel into the cylinder because of the poorly adjusted float level, you need to adjust them neumerous times through out the season.

drexebo

Apr 27, 2007
84cr125 said:
Sounds like your fouling plus from a poorly adjusted float level. Have you ever adjusted the float level? if you dont know what it is then changes are you didnt. Try starting it in neutral and put it first and kleep it up high in the powerband and shift through the gears.

I think your problem is that your getting too much fuel into the cylinder because of the poorly adjusted float level, you need to adjust them neumerous times through out the season.

No I have not ever adjusted the float level. I have a good feeling this was the problem. Thanks a lot!

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
My CR250 did something similar, it was a bad right side crankcase seal. Make sure you flush the crankcases after replacing it or you'll just foul your new plug like I did.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
IndyYZ85 said:
Uhhh.. HUH?

u know the guys on the podium? Ya, they adjust their float level before every race. The more persistant your float level is set, the more percistant you bike will keep runnning.

cr80rr

Apr 30, 2007
1993 cr 80

I have a 1993 honda cr80 also.It started doing the same thing.Take the packing out of the muffler and it should run fine.My muffler was stopped up.The bike wont sound that much louder. :ride:

cr80rr

Apr 30, 2007
drexebo said:
My '93 CR80 runs fine until I put it in gear and try moving around. I get about 20 yards before the spark plug stops working and the bike won't start again.

When I pull the spark plug out, tip/electrode is black and wet like it was dipped in dirty oil. If clean it, the bike will start and do the same thing... run until I put it in gear.

I installed a new plug and was able to ride around for about 2 minutes before I shut it off thinking I had solved my problem. Today I found out I was wrong :)

I just cleaned my carb so fuel flow is not a problem... if anything it seems like it's getting too much fuel, although the air screw seems to be functional and I can lean the mixture up as much as I want and the spark plug will still come out covered in black liquid.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? :bang:

cr80rr

Apr 30, 2007
Take the packing out of the muffler.That should fix it,And it wont sound that much louder.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
cr80rr said:
Take the packing out of the muffler.That should fix it,And it wont sound that much louder.

is that so, why dont you just go ahead and repack it....... you wont get as many angry people after you.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
cr80rr said:

While your at it...why not just take the whole damn silencer off. It wont be that much louder. Better yet...just take the exhaust off altogether. Im sure it wont be that much louder. I say to hell with all the "keep your bike quiet so we still have places to ride" bullcrap going on. cr80rr...you have opened my eyes and I am on my way to the shed to cut off my silencer. :coocoo:

P.S. - I hope you were able to sense the sarcasm in my post.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Easy now, I will handle this one.

84CR125 - As I appreciate your passion for the sport, you need to be carefull with your advice. I have read several of your replies that made me scratch my head. :whoa:

cr80rr - :bang: :bang:

Mully

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom