What is yourKTM 300 EXC jetting???

hodaphile

Sep 18, 2001
I don't think there is anything harder than trying to figure out jetting! I was hoping that I could draft off of some of you and get a head start.

I ride between sea-level and 10,000 feet. Temps are from low-40's to 90's. All is stock except and FMF gnarly pipe and silencer/arrestor. BTW, it is a '96.

Current set up is 170 main, 42 idle, 85 pilot, N85D jet needle, III clip from top on needle, 6 throttle valve, and 1.5 out on air screw.

This works great at 2000-3000 ' elevation. At 6000, it bogs and loads up when hitting midrange, but can be blown out. If on a long stretch, it will surge but then run clean. When it first started to happen I thought I had a fuel blockage. Around 8000', it totally runs like crap. To top end at all, just a mass of burbling.

As I live at sea-level it is hard to get it right so a lot of guessing going on. I plan to go up on the clip until the plug looks a bit lean, then try it at altitude.

How about letting me know what you are running?

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
hodaphile. The '98's and up came with a jetting chart. Me and the buddies just bought 2002's. KTM went to a 6.5 slide for 2002, it has helped drool.

Get a chart from a newer KTM buddy. Buy two more needles, maybe 6 more mains and two pilot/slow jets, follow the chart and you will not have any problems. The chart will tell you what to buy.

We routinely ride between sea level and 10,000', and can rejet our KTM's in about 15 minutes, after lots of practice. Never foul plugs....

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
on my 97 300exc at around 800 to 1200 ft. elevation - no clue on how this would relate to your elevations:

Slide #7
Straight taper needle (sorry forget which one!)
main: 175
pilot: 42
needle clip: 4th from top

that set up was pefect for summer months down to mid 60s up to 90 degrees

for colder temps I was advised to up main and pilot one (thanks strick) - but seems i lost my collection of jets - just did an enduro in mid to high 50s only thing i changed was lowerd clip one more (i figured it was the only thing i could do as i had no jets!). seemed to be just fine - though i have not read the plug yet

the key for my jetting was the #7 slide and straight taper needle - cured tons of problems!

Top Bottom