What kind of bike do you recommend ?

Steverino

Aug 15, 2007
Hi:

My son is 20, but has never ridden a motorcycle before. He is looking for a bike that will be almost exclusively used for trails and fire roads. Most of his riding will be on woodland trails in Missouri. Originally, he was looking at a Dual Sport bike, like a Honda XR650L or a Suzuki DRZ400, but now is wondering if a dedicated off road bike would be better. The models he is considering are: KDX220, CR250X, because he would like to start with a smaller bike while he is learning. I'm open to 2 strokes, although I wonder if they're a good way to go at this point.

My requirement place reliability first and foremost (over power and speed). Handling is also very important. Also, I'd like a bike that we don't have to work on much, and there are a lot of aftermarket accessories for. We will be buying used 3-4 yrs old most likely. Also, he is 6'-2", and weighs about 180 lbs.

I would appreciate any recommendations that you can make.

Thanks,

Steverino

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
XR250s and XR400s make great trail bikes and require very little maintenance. There are a LOT of aftermarket parts for these bikes. XR400s are a bit tall but at 6'2" it shouldn't bother your son.

Top Bottom