calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
I'm looking for a bike for my wonderful fiance and I need some help from other women riders. I got her a TTR225 a year ago, but it was too short and too heavy for her. She rode a KDX 200 and liked it, but I'm having trouble finding one. Would a 125 be a good bike? She's 5'9" 134lbs and is a fast learner. Any advice or opinions from you ladies (or male visitors) would be greatly appreciated. I was considering a cr125 or yz125 but wasn't sure if it would be too pipey for her.

raider

May 31, 2001
I bought my wife an old ('90) KX 125 in October of last year. She had never ridden before, but was wanting to start riding with me and our boys. The 125 was WAY too pipey for her and it was hard for her to ride. We sold it within a couple of months and got her a '91 KDX 200. She absolutely loves the KDX! It's mellow enough that she can take it easy on the trails and not have to stay in the pipe all the time.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I have just the bike! Steve is selling his 2000 RM 125--it has a 167 RPM bore/stroker kit in it so it has lots and lots of smooth bottom end. 3 gallon kevlar tank, woods suspension, flywheel weight, headlight . . . I started a thread in the for sale forum if you want all the other particulars. I would have bought it but I didn't meet Steve until I ordered my KTM already. he is only selling it because he bought an 01--he almost put that motor in his 01. It would be a great bike because it is smoother than a stock 125, but she won't outgrow it. There are plenty of KDXs for sale in the FS forum. A 125 wouldn't be a bad choice either--I like them. She's plenty tall enough. Yes, they are pipey, but that will make her learn good throttle control and clutch usage. I ride a KTM 200 which is a good bike too--lots of power, I am buying a flywheel weight to smooth it out a little and a lighter spring is a must, but it is lighter than the KDX and much better suspension/brakes/ergonomics. Just my opinion!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
What is she going to use the bike for? Riding trails or riding motocross tracks? Do you think she will want to start racing?

I agree, the TTR225 is too heavy, and a bad bike for what is intended-- teaching beginner trail riders. A KDX200/220 would be my suggestion, wait a bit, I'm sure you will be able to find one-- they are very popular! It can be used on trails or doing light motocross. For four-strokes, an XR250 or KLX300 might be the way to go. All 3 bikes are reliable and well-mannered, with hop-up potential if she desires later on.

There's lots of options out there. Find out what type of terrain she wants to ride, and how often she'll probably go riding. If you can, buy used now. Remember, her first bike doesn't need to be her last bike-- she can move around and change bikes once she has mastered the essentials and has developed her own riding style.

calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
Well, so far, from what I can tell, the KDX 200/220 or KTM 200 might be the right bike for her. I wouldn't mind getting a XR250, but I think that might be too heavy also. I've got a yz250f that I will let her ride until we find something. If I come across another 250f, I would definitely buy it for her. I can get a new KDX 200 out the door for $3999, but if I can find one a year or two old, I'd rather do that. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Whenever I do get something, I'll take a picture and post it for you guys. I wish I could make it to Dirtweek 01' to meet all you guys, but we will be at an engagement party that weekend. I'm planning on next year though. Thanks again.
Billy

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
I know I'm late here, but my .02 worth is to get her a KDX 200/220 or a KTM 200 EXC. I ride a YZ125, and it's just awful in the woods. I have to scream up every hill, there is no nice leisurly way to ride a moto xer in the woods. In fact, I'm looking at a 2001 KTM 200EXC for myself, and I'm thinking about selling my YZ...

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Got a buddy here at work, has a '99 or 2000 KDX 200 for sale, street legal, one owne. Guy is a Phd engineer in his thirties, ended up not enjoying the sport, has switched to golf.

He really wants to sell the bike! I think he'd take a below blue book offer, as he has to move to NJ in a couple of weeks, and really wants to sell the bike.

Ready for a road trip out west?

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
At least she can fit on modern bikes!
My ex-wife was only 5'2" tall. (in her shoes!)
She started out on an old Kia 100 2 stroke, then graduated to a Honda CL175. (Which she loved.)
Guess that bike was too "streety" though, and she caught "road fever".
Now i hear she's cruising on a Harley! :scream:

Apr 27, 2001
LOOK: THERE ARE TO THINGS THAT YOU NEED TO REALIZE HERE. #1 A WOMAN'S PLACE IS IN THE HOME UNLESS THERE IS YARD WORK TO BE DONE. #2 ANY BODY THAT TAKES THERE GIRLFREIND (A MANLY WORD) RIDING IS NOT GOING TO HAVE A GOOD TIME. KEEP THE MOTORCYCLING FOR YOU IT'S A CHANCE TO ESCAPE THE PROBLEMS THAT YOUR ABOUT TO MARRY. JUST MY OPINION. DON'T DO IT.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Ok, Einstein, if you’re joking then I’ll start coming up with man jokes to throw back at you. Otherwise, you are not displaying the best judgement in posting comments like this here. Women are an important part of the motorcycle industry and there are several here who are intelligent, talented riders. Several of them can probably kick your ass both on and off the track. Only men with serious deficiencies of some type still cling to the extremely outdated “woman’s place” belief. Nobody here does, or if they do they are smarter than you and keep their mouths shut. Only men who feel their manhood is threatened are worried about women who can ride and do anything they can. If you’re going to make statements like this either state that you are joking or prepare to get reamed. And take off the caps lock key—that’s annoying.

BikeDstroyer

Jun 30, 2001
You GO GIRLS!!!! Damn shame you girls live so far away I'd like to meet you and ride with you sometime. Not to many women to ride with here so I mostly ride with my husband and some other hard core riders.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by CJ Rider
I bet Mr. KTM has a small pee pee.
OMG!! Thanks a lot CJ!! Now I have to wipe the chunks of bananna I just spewed all over my monitor!! :scream: LMAO!! You called it! :)

calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
If you have to go riding without the one you married to get away for awhile, you married the wrong one. I don't want to "get away" from my fiance. We have the best time riding together as well as scuba diving and other activities.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Exaclty, CalimariRacer. You sound like a very lucky guy to have a fiance interested in doing such cool stuff and she sounds very lucky to have found you! Ya'll are on the right track looking for a KDX200/220, YZ250F, KTM200. I have a friend who's 5'9" and she even likes the DRZ400, which is the swiss army knife of trail bikes around these parts. If ya'll can't make DirtWeek, maybe you could make the Texan Spodefest in Taylor Park, Colorado. That's the week and weekend after Labor Day. A lot of Taylor Park is pretty tough, but I found some nice easy passes in the area too. 'Something for everyone!

('Sorry about the bananas on the screen there, gsr!)

Payday2

Sep 29, 1999
It's pretty obvious KTM is trolling, that is, unless he's one of those miserable old farts like at my work who tell me my fiance is going to make me sell my bike when we get married. Uh-huh. Sure. Just as soon as she sells hers first!

Calamari - Kim and I have been riding dirtbikes together for 3 years now and there isn't anyone in the world I'd rather go riding with. I love being able to spend time together riding and racing, where most guys have to begl to get away once or twice a month.

As far as bikes go, if you haven't found one yet, you might want to keep your eyes open for a 2000 KX125. The mags ripped these bikes, but the one we have has been really good to us. Power is definitely low-mid, and very smooth. The suspension is awesome, the only shortcomings of the bike is lack of top end power and rev, and the front brake has a mysterious need to be bled every 2-3 races, or after every crash. It will lack the grunt of the 200's, but it definitely has more grunt than a CR125. The one I rode had a huge hole on the bottom end of the power spectrum.

Whatever you decide, good luck in your search, and have fun!

J&K

Top Bottom