what kind of bike is this?

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
Hey all, i know someone will be able to tell me everything about this bike as soon as they see it. My brother-in-law ended up with it in some swap out deal. Anyway here's what i know about it---serial number starts with X125, it's water cooled, (so i'm guessing a kx125). Year is what i don't know. I don't have the rest of the serial # with me. Any thoughts about this bike? He does have all the pieces and is wondering if it's worth restoring, i say hell ya, any bike is worth restoring to me, but i'm an idiot too! thanks in advance----

Attachments

• drn_1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 413

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
next pic

Attachments

• drn_2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 403

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
One radiator, rear drum brake, Looks like an old KX125 to me.  Maybe around '84 or could be '83.  I'd have to do some checking.  Why don't you just get the vin # off of the head pipe on the frame and look it up?

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
well i don't have the bike in my possesion, i tried to explain to him where the vin would be---head pipe?---is that the steering column tube?

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
those are inverted forks are they not? the bike in question does not have the forks inverted correct? I'm new to this guessing game!!!:)

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
However, the forks on the 86 shown in the bikepics.com link are inverted.

I wish I could help w/ the generation differences on the KX....

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
It doesn't look to me like either are inverted...however it has to be pre '86 b/c that was the first year of front and rear disc brakes. It may be a hybrid or custom job of some sort, b/c the panels look like they're off an '87. The frame looks a bit odd also in the subframe region...not sure, basically ;)

kira

Apr 8, 2003
it looks like a 86 kx200 my buddy has one looks just like that ..there isnt any numbers left on it well good luck man>

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i see no one else is real sure either.. hopefully bro-in-law will be getting me some numbers off it today, so i can go that route.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Man that bike looks like it has seen better days and is probably not worth restoring. His time and money are better spent with something more up to date or new. At the end he will still have an old bike.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
and that is exactly what he wanted to know...he's not an avid rider but does enjoy projects. it told him it probably wasn't worth anything as far as an investment, but if he wanted to have a good learning project than that would probably be a good candidate.

KDXKen

Dec 14, 2002
It would be cheaper to buy a newer running model but if you are just looking for a project why not go for it. I have a 1980 Yamaha It175 I am letting my teenage boys rebuild for a learning project by the time they get through I would have been able to buy a brand new MX Bike. But we are having fun.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
bro-in-law. sent me number off engine. : KHI X125BE013088

vin# seems to be a bit of a mystery right now

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by kira
it looks like a 86 kx200 my buddy has one looks just like that ..there isnt any numbers left on it well good luck man>

86 KDX 200 was air cooled, and this bike has one radiator.  I still think it's an 83-85 KX125 no too sure though. 

As far as a restore project, something a little newer and a little more complete would make a great project.  Any 89+ KDX 200 would be good, even if it's a littlbe bit of a basket case.

Good luck.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…