trist007

Oct 3, 2007
Here's all my info:

1. 5'7, 180 lbs.

2. I'm about a 7 on a scale from 1-10, 10 being most aggressive.

3. I plan to ride in trails and in woods, but I also want to be able to take my bike to the track and have some fun doing jumps.

4. My first bike was a 1994 Suzuki dual sport 650. That was a fun bike. Hehe, I'd pull some mini jumps and hit bottom every time. Yeah I know, 650 isn't the bike for jumps but it was my first bike. Then I had a 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 500 street bike. It was so much easier to ride because it was lower to the ground. Then I got my motorcyle driver's license. Then, last year, I got a 2007 Suzuki GXSR 750. That bike was awesome. Was a rush everytime. I ended up selling it cause the insurance+payments were too much. Now, I've gotten all into hiking and stuff. I just bought a 2004 Z71 Tahoe. So I plan on doing some dirt trails around New Mexico and Colorado. However, I still want a bike that is capable of doing some jumps. Oh I just remembered, I've ridden a 1992 honda 125, 2 stroke. Just went on a trail, nothing serious. That was fun.

5. I doubt I'll ever race.

6. I'm not mechanically inclined. However, I know the basics. I used to have a pair of cherries on the old suburban, which made the exhaust sound like a harley. But as for taking an engine apart, no. I do want to learn. I want to work on my own bike, and I'm a fast learner. I think working on a bike would make me relax. Plus, if anything goes wrong, I want to be able to fix it myself instead of paying an arm and a leg at some mechanic.

7. From my understanding, 2 strokes require fuel mixing, while 4 strokes just take regular gasoline. So I'd take the 4 stroke for convenience. Also, I'm thinking that 2 strokes have more torque than 4 strokes but 4 strokes have more power, is this correct? Either way, I've heard that 4 strokes are more appropriate for beginners. Which one is louder, 2 or 4 stroke? What do you guys think? Although I do love raw torque hehe. As for brand, I guess I kinda like Suzuki at the moment, and, for some reason, I just don't like Honda.

8. I live in San Antonio, TX, which is a fairly large city. I'm sure I won't have any trouble finding a dealer of any brand.

9. I plan on spending anywhere from $2000-$4000 on a bike. I also wanna get one of those hitch mounting things for my tahoe. It comes with a ramp and the bike secure behind the rear door of the tahoe. I think they run about $189.

10. I don't like in California, but I was there a few weeks ago. I hit Yosemite, that places rocks.

11. 27 yrs old.

12. So yeah, I want a bike that's great for trails and jumps. I learn rather quickly so I don't want to get an underpowered bike and have to upgrade it later. From what I've heard, I'm currently thinking of a 1999-2002 Suzuki 250 4 stroke.

Last edited:

May 10, 2007
yea a 250 4 stroke would be good. any brand is really good. just be careful w/ used ones. ask him about any maintmence he has done that he should have. thumpers need alot of work.

Douglas777

Sep 19, 2007
trist007 said:
7. From my understanding, 2 strokes require fuel mixing, while 4 strokes just take regular gasoline. So I'd take the 4 stroke for convenience. Also, I'm thinking that 2 strokes have more torque than 4 strokes but 4 strokes have more power, is this correct? Either way, I've heard that 4 strokes are more appropriate for beginners. Which one is louder, 2 or 4 stroke? What do you guys think? Although I do love raw torque hehe. As for brand, I guess I kinda like Suzuki at the moment, and, for some reason, I just don't like Honda.

QUOTE]

No a 2-stroke does not have more torque. A 4-stroke is louder. 4-stroke's are "easier" to rider because they are more forgiving under any track or trail conditions among other reasons. What is wrong with the Honda's? They are the best 4t MX bikes available IMO.

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
Consider this:
Your about the perfect size for an RM-250, but because your not going to race, a trail thumper may be a better choice. Although a big tank RM-250 2 stroke may still be a great idea.

The DRZ-250 4 stroke is just a more modern XR-250, ie better cooling and electric start. Plus the power is pretty smooth. And then there's the DRZ-400 4 stroke. It's heavier, and it won't like taking any big MX jumps, but it's perfect for everything else.

4 strokes do have a wider power band, and the trail oriented bikes have a very smooth power curve, and their the lowest maintenance. So for low maintenance and max fun, get a good used DRZ-250 or 400 and hit the trails!

Top Bottom