what kind of tool is this

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
with all of the recent flooding up my way, I got a chance to rummage around in Grandma's basement while waiting for the pump to do it's job. I came across this hand tool. I have no idea what it is for. Anyone know?

Attachments

• lighning2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 154
  • lightning.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 154

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
we have a specialty tool at work like that except both sides of the jaws have a half circle. ours are for compressing retaining springs that hold in the blades of a bead blaster.

is any of that writing on them legible?

ours is machine specific , im sure that is way off what yours are for. if i had to make a wild arse guess on those, i might go with..........used for making dimples in tin :coocoo: maybe for squishing leather through the hole??

Last edited:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Ahaaaaahhh,

I found it!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
wow, i edited my post to add to it and found your post turns out im not that coocoo.............now ill sleep better tonight :)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
wait until I post the next find. It's even odder

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I antique a lot for old tools and love it when I come across some tool that has no apparent use. I like to figure out what there are used for. Fun stuff. I've actually told several antique dealers what that shoe leather strecher is used for.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Damn I knew what they were :(

Had a boot that was rubbing me wrong years ago and went in to Texas Custom Boot and they pulled a pair of those out. I think it's sort of a shoe horn on the handle end as well.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
You'll have another chance tomorrow Pat. I'll post up another find from Grammie's waterlogged basement

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
I was gonna say, it looks like a canooter valve hair pin removal tool. LOL !!!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If I hadn't got my boot fixed I might have said it was for piercing and elephant's ear... or at least getting one really PO'ed.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
More stuff from Grammy's flooded basement. This one should be easy. Gimme your best guess

Attachments

• squeezer3.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 104
  • squeezer4.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 110

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
A garlic press????? I would have guessed some kind of auto brake spring tool on the first. Sewage infested shopping, not good on materials that can fester mold! The rules of flooding: never pump a basement out that has water around it to the top, they implode. Areas with septic tanks, the flood water pushes ALL your septic tank, back into and through your house first. Once is enough for me. An awful situation to deal with all the way around. Recovery is never accomplished, fully. Anything that can hold sewage, has to be thrown out. That does include the materials that got wet inside the house, drywall and all wood. The concrete and such can be power washed and bleached. And anything that does not hold moisture can be salvaged, after a mild bleach solution cleaning. The good news, high winds and warmer temps, bad news, till our Saturday storms catch you Sunday? Best of luck, and my deepest sympathy to the flood victims. Vintage Bob

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Come on Keith, that's a lemon juicer. You take a half lemon and squeeze the crap ...er, juice out of it.

One thing I have found during my years of collecting this stuff is that even though an item had a particular use, that doesn't mean that's how it was used. I'm amazed at the names some dealers put on items but in a lot of cases that how they remembered grandma using so that's the name it gets.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, good luck with the clean-up. We had flooding last spring and ended up with sewer backup in the basement. Ours is finished/carpeted. Luckily we only have a few interior walls down there and it didn't get more than a couple inches deep. Still had pll up all the carpet and padding and clean all the stuff the got touched. A couple gallons of bleach and a ton of scrubbing had it all cleaned up. We repainted the walls and floor and just got a couple large area rugs instead of redoing the carpet. Took a few weeks to do but it's actually nicer now than before so I guess it's not so bad. We didn't really lose anything of value luckily. Anyway, hope it all goes well for you!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
One more for ya before I call it a day:

Attachments

• torch1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 95

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
White gas torch. Pulled a few out of my in laws place when we cleared the place out.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Nah, you guys are all wrong!! That's a small version of a cigar lighter that my uncle used to have. It'd light them babies up real quick like. :laugh:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
from the looks of it Gramps was using it with leaded Gas. I might just have to rebuild this thing and light it up

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
Papakeith said:
from the looks of it Gramps was using it with leaded Gas. I might just have to rebuild this thing and light it up
In US they used leaded gas, in europe they used naphta wich is much more secure. Thats a few year ago, US use naphta or propane since a while.

To use leaded gas it must be really old.
When using with gas usually you have to light it and let the gas feeding tube get hot(so gas get in vapor and burn correctly) before opening the air inlet. Or something like that...
But this model appear to be using naphta to me. I can be wrong, am only 21 lol.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Back in the day leaded gas was "red" gas & unleaded was "white". The torch would run on either (duh) or Coleman fuel or naptha or... I've used one in shop class waaay back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
from what I've read the tray under the nozzle is filled with gas and lit. as it burns off it heats the head.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yup I think that's right. It's a little sketchy lighting one the first time :)

As long as Tony isn't overseeing the project everyone should escape with most of their eyebrows. :laugh:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…