What liquid should I clean my air filter with?

YZRide

Dec 15, 2006
My manual states I should clean my airfilter with a Solvent. Is water ok or is there some other kind of liquid that I should use to clean my air filter?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
YZRide said:
My manual states I should clean my airfilter with a Solvent. Is water ok or is there some other kind of liquid that I should use to clean my air filter?
I used gas for years .... (BTW, water won't work with regular filter oil). Switched to No-Toil 5-6 years ago. Great stuff.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I use Dawn dish soap and water. It works fine. For the most part, I use the Bel Ray oils because they're cheap but get the job done.

breezeair

Feb 8, 2006
I have used No-toil all summer and fall and it has worked great but I think it is more trouble than petro oil. I have tried washing in the sink and in the washer, both methods work great. I think it takes longer than when I used paint thinner in a bucket with a screen in the bottom. When this bottle is gone I'm going back to Bel-Ray.

YZRide

Dec 15, 2006
I plan to take the bike out tommorow. I havn't inspected the filter since I got it about a month ago. I assume the cleaninig proccess requires it to be soaked in the Solution for a long time Like a KNN out of a car??

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I don't soak my knn, I just spray it until it's thoroughly red. On a foam motorcycle filter, I thoroughly soak it and then wring it out.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I usually use PJ1 Super Cleaner in an aerosol can (it works on chains also). Unfortunately I cannot locate it where I am now, so I will be using their Filter Cleaner for a while. The Super Cleaner works well and is rather simple, spray it on, hose it off.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I also like the No-Toil oil. I use Oxyclean to wash the filter instead of the No-Toil cleaner. Works just as well, and I use it to clean my riding stuff too.

Yz250FinAZ

Dec 15, 2003
i just get a bucket, fill it with warm water, some dish soap, and clean it, always worked for me. im thinking about getting some cleaners though...

Top Bottom