What makes a sweet handling bike.

svi

Dec 7, 2000
Everybody likes different things from a bike, what in your opinion makes a sweet handling bike?
What performance aspects do you look for from the chassis and suspension?

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
My personal taste is a bike that is set toward the firm side, but complient, which = control=speed. The other aspect of this is you get feed back of what the bike is doing
Russ

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
The first thing I always check is tyrepressure. I like my tires soft, but i ride mostly soft soil, so i can get away with it. I am also very light weight, and the tyre pressure give me extra bite and plushness.
I hate hard carcass tyres. You can not set them soft. They feel always hard.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
For me a sweet handling bike has to have a very confident feeling front end. By that I mean it needs not to head shake, it needs to feel very light in the front for riding in sand at high speeds, and it has to stay planted in turns... I really get turned off when the front wheel wants to push or knife under in turns... I tend to run my bike with alot more sag than most guys but that always has seemed to work for me and the type of riding I do.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
For me its if it takes a corner in a neutral way-no matter what shape the corner is.The only bikes i have found so far are a RM and CR125, all the other brands have some handling flaw IMO.I like it to turn in well but not dart or hunt and to feel positive in the corners.

On the suspension i hate any kicking under breaking and good hook up on acceleration.Also breaking bumps shouldnt be felt, im willing to give up some bottoming performance in return for these things.

On the rear it must not swap at all-hate that feeling, and on the front headshake means its sold unless sorted asap.
Dont think i ask alot really;)

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
to me a sweet bike would be one that i can ride for four times a day for 15 mins+1 lap without getting armpump, but that is more technique and conditioning.

things i like in a bike are good turning- that little rm of mine will cut under anything- however, as a beginner rider, a loose feeling front end that feels like it will wash out in corners really slows me down confidence wise- i think thats why begginers do better on 4 strokes since they seem to press the front down for nice grip.

the shock doenst bother me as long as its soft enough- for the forks, constant frustration since i always feel i could get them working better and that would help me with prolem number 1!

Top Bottom