What new hand levers for '01 KTM M/XC 400?

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
I broke my clutch lever this weekend when I laid the bike down and it seems like it broke off pretty easy. Can anybody recommend a more durable type of hand levers?

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Are you running wrap around hand guards? If not, you'll probably break a lot of levers. I've had great luck with the Holeshot Billet Standard clutch lever ( http://www.holeshotktm.com/store/page7.shtml ) but I run metal bark busters so all of my levers last forever. The Holeshot lever changes the angle of the plunger rod and has a needle bearing in the pivot. The result is an easier pull with faster clutch actuation. Kind of pricey though. And they'll hit you for like $11 S&H.

EE ( http://www.enduroeng.com/ ) sells a similar lever but, for some reason, more than a few guys have had their clutch master cylinder start leaking after using it. They have to replace the entire master cylinder to fix the problem.

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
jeb, thanks for the link. Yes, I have handguards (Acerbis) and so that is another reason why I can't believe I broke the clutch lever off. The Holeshot Billet Standard is $45 & S&H which is definitely pricey, but I hate to be stuck on a trail changing levers. But, then again I can get the stock levers for about $9. Hmmmmmm, time to make a decision. :think

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
I've got the Enduro Engineering lever on my 400SX and has worked flawlessly. No leaks in the master cylinder and it reduces clutch pull by 50%. ;)

Check em out at Enduroeng.com

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by Lee520
Hey KTMster where do you get stock levers for $9.00???? Or did i just misunderstand?
Lee

Hi Lee! No, you did not misunderstand. I suppose I incorrectly explained. SO SORRY! PLEASE accept my apologies! But, you can get Moose aluminum levers, polished, all w/ mech. clutch KTM 93-98 for $8.95, NOT $9.00 (as listed on their website & I am assuming that the '01 would be the same) for the clutch or brake at: http://www.holeshotktm.com/store/moose/moose_handlebars.shtml

Yes, Moose levers are a NICKLE less. Hope this answers all your ????s

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
KTMster,
Those levers probably won't work. In 98, the 250, 300, and 380 had cable clutches yet. That was also the first year for the juice clutch but only on the 125/200's. No pre-98 bikes had hyd clutches so that listing would be for a cable system.

My wife broke her clutch lever on her 98 125EXC and the only place you could get one was KTM. I paid $63 for it in '98. The current crop of replacement levers look like a real bargain to me at about $40. There may be some cheaper one's, too, but I don't think they'd have the bearing.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Like jeb said. You don't buy hydraulic clutch handles for $8.95 or even $
9.00. And if you're selling it, I ain't buying it.:D

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I just bought the Enduro Engineering needle bearing easy pull clutch lever. It was recommended to me by KTM friends. Will let you know how it fares! I picked it up for about 35-40 bucks.

On the clutch subject, I was also advised to by the EE clutch cylinder guard and after looking at the mud, rocks and twigs packed underneath the stock plastic guard I can see why. That little tiny $150 part is pretty vulnerable to broken chains and rocks stuck in the chain.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Here's a list of my recommendations.

• Clutch guard is one as well as steel braided cable from Erider.
  • There has been mixed reviews of the EE clutch handle. You can ask TXKDX about his, though they may have correct the problem by now.
  • Don't forget EE handguards with shields, definitely one of my smarter buys.
  • Don't forget to set the sag.
  • When you wear out the Bridgestone, look at IRC m5b's, or whatever it's called.;)
  • With get offs you like you mentioned before at Monkey Butt, if you haven't already damaged it and don't need it, the enduro fender is a wise choice to take off, i.e. it's a $70 fender doesn't include the silver top.
  • The usual case guards, pipe guards, shark fin, etc. Since you race.
  • Fork booties to help keep mud out of you fork seals.
    [/list=a]

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Wow, you guys are great--Jeb, Yarbonwick, Firecracker & Coach in ND! Not only have you all taken the time to try and help a new KTM owner out, but you all went over-and-above my expectations and I truly appreciate it. Thank you all for the help and pointing me in the right direction! :)

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
I went to Malcolm Smith Motorsports yesterday for my clutch lever. The guy at the parts counter told me that the original KTM clutch lever was $70.00 :o and then he grinned and and took me over to the section where they have aftermarket levers and the price on the one for my bike was $7.90 plus 59 cents for tax. My total out the door price for this gem was $8.49 I am a happy camper once again. :) I already put it on & it works like a charm.

The aftermarket company name on the package is Flanders in case anybody here doesn't feel like spending $70.00 on an original KTM clutch lever.

Fiddle diddle deeeee, fiddle diddle day. :confused:

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
Any chance of getting the Flander's part or item number off that clutch lever?
Wife took my 520MXC for a spin yesterday!:eek: I was all good until she thought she'd power slide around a corner like her 200MXC....and WACKED the throttle wide OPEN:scream: She's banged up, but okay:)

But I'm down a clutch lever....

TIA

Top Bottom