MX145

Dec 29, 2001
I just got my Boyesen Rad 33-G valve today for my '02 YZ125 and still haven't decided on which pipe to get. Has anybody tried the FMF SSTw/titanium silencer combo on an '02 yet? Does it really do what they say? I didn't have good luck w/FMF silencers in the past......quality seemed to be very low. I've also ran ProCircuit Works w/shorty silencer and had 50-50 results.....One good get off racing and the pipe is damaged. I ran a Bills Pipe on my '94 CR and it seemed to run good and have alot of strength, but my buddies for his '01 CR125 seems to be lighter guage like the ProCircuits. I am willing to sacrifice some strenght for performance, if it really does make a difference. Ultimately I would like to also bore it out - does anybody know what the best combo will be for the '02 YZ125 ?? Your help is much appreciated.:confused:

02yz125

Sep 25, 2001
Check out the new issue of Dirt Rider. They tested all kinds of pipes on all models of bikes both 125 and 250. I dont believe Bills has one for a 2002 or even yamaha for that matter. Ive heard the stock pipe is tough to beat on this bike.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
For '02 yamaha changed the stock pipe/silencer to give the bike better bottom without hurting top/overrev so its a good compromise. The mod to silencer was it was made 15mm shorter vs the '01 setup. So this combo is going to be hard to beat.

FMF Fatty pipe: Supposively add's alittle more to all area's of the powerband. Don't waste your money on the SST it was lame for the bike last year and I bet it will be again for '02 if you go with FMF get the fatty same one the factory team was using. Don't waste your money on that damn titanium silencer its just a gimick what you might save a whole pound in wieght.

Pro Circuit pipe: Takes away alittle bottom and shifts it to the Top while the mid gets alittle meatier, putting on the shorty doesn't result in bottom increase really just isn't as bad with the stocker one.

I don't know anything else about any of the other pipes, I did though how ever changed my jetting from stock. I'm not running the euro spec needle in clip #1 stock pilot 420 main (think is stock) with the air screw at 1 1/2 turn out. It works better than stock it helps get rid of the bog it has off the bottom. I've been running it now for the last two AX rounds and its alot better. Have you added a 51 tooth sprocket yet that helped alot also.

If I was going to get a over bore I'd go for like a YZ133 so you'd still be totally legal for the 125 class. If I was to go bigger i'd go for the YZ 144 kit I wouldn't go any bigger then that.

MX 154 do you race the AX series? I'm going to be at the next round in pasco. If your there look me up. I'm going to be at all remaining rounds.

my # 439

MX145

Dec 29, 2001
MXP1MP - I immediately changed the rear sprocket and chain when I purchased the bike. My intentions are to go 133cc, just waiting for a long enough period of downtime that I can send it in for the mods. Last fall I raced mostly outdoors at tracks like: Washougal, Wardcreek, Thurst Co ORV, S.I.R., and did arenacross races @ Monroe & Oakwood. This year I have been practicing arenacross at Clark County and at a private arenacross in Woodland. If things go right I will be racing the arenacross series in Portland, Tacoma, and B.C. (depends on how comfortable I feel on the bike and what my work schedule will allow). I have switched from an '00 CR250, '01 CR125 to the '02 YZ125. I couldn't get the CR250 suspension dialed for my style & weight.....and went back to the 125's for a better feel. I'm no pro rider....but would like to get a bike setup for me that will perform the best and let the rest lie in my hands. All of this is why I sent out the first message....to get a pipe / silencer combo that will perform the best on the '02 YZ for amatuer racing. As far as the needle goes - I have not been able to find anybody that can get the new needle for me.
:mad:
I guess I will have to check out the Dirt Rider mag and see if they have anything worthwile to contribute.

Oh yea, My # is 145 Introduce yourself If you see me at the track. My last name "ERICKSON" and # are on the back of my chest protector. Click here for CR parts

Last edited:

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Kewl man I don't know if ya saw it but the post about the needle thats the one I want to get to try out. No its not this thread of posts under a different one. Its the one MXA suggested to get, maybe I'll see ya out rippin it up on the mx tracks. I plan to race the ama dist 27? series when it starts up. I think the first race is in late march at opmc. schedule was up on the ama website, maybe i'll see ya out there.

Top Bottom