What oil do I use for the 1st oil change?

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
I have one ride on my '01 KTM M/XC 400. Which oil should I use for the first oil change? And then which oil do I use for the second?

------------------
'01 KTM M/XC400 (My bike)
'00 Yamaha TTR225 (My old lead sled, but new night rider/camp hopper & pit vehicle)
'00 Honda CR250 (Hubby's bike)
AMA D37

woodsdude

Mar 31, 2000
MA
For the first oil change I'd use whatever the manual suggests. After that it would depend on whether or not I liked the performance and price of the first oil.

------------------
"We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding" -Anon
"and they closed your riding area...." - me
99 KTM 300 EXC

[This message has been edited by woodsdude (edited 04-02-2001).]

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
Just as woodsdude said ,i didn't find Shell Advance in my area so i used another synthetic oil ( Belray EXS 10W50) .Any high quality motorcycle specific synthetic oil should do.Be sure to change the filters and clean the screens ,i made my first maintenance at 3.03 hours and there was some metal shavings in the oil (propably due to production),the valves where tigth also, so it would be wise to have a look there.BTW you dont need to remove or drain the rads,just unscrew them from the frame ..you should have enough space (even if it is a little tigth).
Check all fastener on the bike,even with low vibes they unscrew like crazy ,i blue loctited nearly everything.A hourmeter is a good investment (35$US)...And most important roost on !!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
mechantloup
GRRRR!!!
KTM 520 EXC 01
Japanschrott?!Nein danke !!!

k47k

Feb 2, 2001
I also have a '01 400mxc and for the first oil change (1hour) i used Spectro 20w50 full petro based. My dealer said do not use synthetic or semi-synth. i dont recall the reason but i also heard this from a number of other sources.

I would be very interested in why i was told not to use Synth. It seems everyone has a different opinion on what type of oil to use.

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
Full synth are so good at preventing wear that they may prevent proper break-in...KTM recommend synthetics anyway so i used what they said ....they built that engine so they should know what is good for it... I read it was less critical on plated cylinders... Mine run real fine now...stronger than out of the crate....For good info on oils have a look at : www.belray.com tech section consumer products ...very usefull...
smile.gif

------------------
mechantloup
GRRRR!!!
KTM 520 EXC 01

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
OK here's the scoop. We have a KTM Factory representative that visits DRN and sometimes posts. Shell is next to nonexistant in the states but it's no big deal. ANY top shelf synthetic will do fine as long as it meets the specs called for in the manual. KTM specifies synthetic because the oil volume in the RFS is very small and synthetics can handle the heat and stresses. Amsoil, Motul, Silkolene and several others will serve the purpose just fine. All you need to do is keep it changed and keep the filters cleaned and replaced. All of the too slippery, eats seals, and other myths are just that. Use synthetic as KTM says to and you will be just fine.

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
Patman,you should be president!!The world would be a better place for it...
biggrin.gif

------------------
mechantloup
GRRRR!!!
KTM 520 EXC 01

KTM400EXC#232

Mar 19, 2001
Synthetic oils only,
Also very important is the viscosity.
10w40 for cold weather ie. under 5 deg c
15w50 for anything above that.
Also change it as much as you can.
Fresh oil never wore out a motor.

------------------
go on, brake late, my mum does!

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
The same guy that Patman refers to has also posted that fully synthetic oil is not what they really recommend for the RFS's. He said something like (I can't find the post anymore) "90% of the guys that use fully syn will be fine but some of the guys that are aggressive clutch users are going through clutches quickly". He went on to say that at the RFS service classes that KTM holds for their dealers they recommend using a semi-synthetic oil.

Those posts could've been on the Holeshot KTM board as the same guys posts there as well but I couldn't find them there, either.

I've been using belray semi-synthetic in mine and I plan to continue doing that.

------------------
John Brunsgaard - JEB
01 KTM 400 EXC
99 KTM 250 EXC
99 KTM 200 EXC
98 KTM 125 EXC
98 KTM 380 MXC (gone)
96 KDX 200

[This message has been edited by jeb (edited 04-05-2001).]

Top Bottom