what oil do you use for tranny?

weez440

Oct 22, 2005
ok buddy has 02cr and i have 05 yz and we are gonna change the transmission oil and was wondering what kind of oil do you guys use? do you use just 80/90 gear lube or something else? also how much oil do you use? neither of us have manuals.

jrf4x4

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2008
I run rotella 15w40 and both bikes should have a oil level plug just take it out and pour the oil in the fill hole until it come out the oil level hole, and thats it and just put the plug back in it shouldn't take no more than a quart.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
zaneyzrex said:
gear saver 80w only
+1 but not necessarily the 80w as I have used the 75w as well. I have found that the Bel Ray gear saver helps reduce clutch plate wear. I discovered this when I owned an '89 CR250R. These bikes were known for eating clutch plates and I had the same experience. To help aleviate this issue, I installed an extra clutch plate, and started using the Gear Saver oil. I never had a problem after that and I won't use anything else in my dirt bikes. As for the Vstar, Mobil 1 for MC's. :cool:

weez440

Oct 22, 2005
thanx for the replies guys even though they are kinda all over the place lol. well my buddy just picked up the 02 cr 250 today. it looks very clean, an older guy had it so he could go trail riding with his boys and got arthritis in his leg and couldn't kick it over or something so it sat for about the last 2 years. well it was about 4 degree's here today so i picked it up for him brought it about 40 miles to a heated shop and we let it sit for about and hour and kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked. tried different plug and i said right away lets just clean the carb, but nobody would listen so they kicked and kicked and i said about 5 more times we have to clean the carb it has that oxidation? in it from the old gas. they fiddled around for about another hour then i said i am taking hte carb off. i took it off and i have never seen a carb so gunked up in all my life. i clean it and pop it back on (in the meantime teaching my buddy how to do it) had him do some of the work and we put it back on and the first kick it started :) i was so proud of myself i had to share lol

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Type F ATF

zaneyzrex

Jan 9, 2007
warrior91 said:
I tell ya what...If I had 80/75 w in my bike. It would drag so bad. And I don't think the clutch would work very well.

ok uhm y ? if it doesnt bother any bike ive ever worked on/ridden then why would it bother yours ? now if your talking about your 4-strokes then yes its not a good idea since the whole engine uses the trans oil so you will need a 10w40 etc.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
camshaft said:
Cant beat amsoil.

Here we go again. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Mar 18, 2006
what about manufacturer?

Isn't it ok to just use a quality oil of the manufacturer's specified viscosity? Or has real testing revealed that gear oils or ATF's are superior? I've always been under the impression that good quality oil when changed regularly will give good protection. Would the manufacturers not recommend the proper oil? I don't know. Will some oils protect the transmission better than the clutch? Will some oils protect the clutch better than the transmission? Will some do both? And it may be bike model/brand specific? Is this really complicated or what? And what if a refinery changes their product unbeknownst (is that a word?) to us? And how many real producers of oil (as opposed to brands) are there anyway's? Usually if the book says 10w30, I use 10w30. If it says 30w, I use 30w. Seems to work. All of these folks should get manuals and read them. I have gotten manuals on e-*** for an '82kdx80, an old round baler,etc,etc,etc. By the way, I really enjoy reading this stuff. There is an incredible wealth of info in this forum, although sometimes hard to find something read a long time ago. I need to improve my search techniques. Spring is coming in the north and thoughts turn to BIKES. ramble,ramble,ramble

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
All i know is when I use $4 a gallon wal-mart ATF oil gets changed every ride. When i use $10-20/quart other stuff oil stays in longer. i have had good results with the clean oil.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
longtime coming said:
Isn't it ok to just use a quality oil of the manufacturer's specified viscosity?
BINGO!

souphmars

Mar 8, 2004
i think tha it does not really matter what brand of oil u use if u change it often- i change mine every 3 to 4 rides- i use castrol 20w-50- but i am going to try rotella i ahve heard alot of good things about it- i dont have a rekluse clutch but i know they recommend it for their clutches- they say that rotella is good against the heat

Top Bottom