What rider safety gear is a must and what is not

brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
I know boots and helmet are primary.

There seems to be an edless list of gear.

multiple types of knee pads
Chest and back thing that goes over your head
kidney protector
back spine thing
elbow stuff
padded pants
kneck braces.

Going out to buy gear for the first time can be an overload since you don't know whats truelly necessary for starting out on the trails. If I go for pure safety I may come out looking like a empire trooper from starwars.

your opinions are appreciated.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
If you're looking for just the basics to begin with then I'd recommend the following:

Helmet
Goggles
Boots
Pants
Jersey
Knee pads
Gloves
Chest Protector

Out of those items the only ones I would ride without would be pants and jersey, but I'd be sure to wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt.

Douglas777

Sep 19, 2007
ONe more thing. IF you are wearing the above listed gear along with a neck brace, kidney belt, Knee pads, elbow pads, and "back spine thing" it may become difficult to maneuver wearing all that. Which, IMO, is dangerous.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Get it all. :nod:

Have you heard of Murphys law? The one piece of protection that you don't wear is where you will land. :ohmy: :nod:

Don't ask me how I know this. ;)

It's amazing how hard you can crash and get up and ride away when you wear the right gear.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Helmet, goggles, good pants, gloves, and boots are the MUST HAVES of offroad gear. After that, I would rank knee pads, then a chest protector, then elbow pads. I used to ride without a chest protector and whish I hadn't. It makes the minor crashes almost painless. But, I rank knee pads ahead of the chest protector because knee injuries tend to be permanet/recurring injuries and are much more debilitating than rib injuries/bruises.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I receommend getting the bulk of it up front, the "bulk" being what everyone is saying is the basic.

I didn't do that, I got it once piece at a time. Started with the helmet, obviously. Tried using sun glasses to protect the eyes, didn't work.

The first time I twisted/mangled a foot I quit riding in tennis shoes.

It wasn't long before I got tired of ending a ride with bleeding knuckles so I got a decent pair of gloves.

I actually started using the chest protector before I needed it. It has some pretty nasty scrapes on it now, so I am sure it has done its job quite well.

The pants were added to be stylish but I am sure that they have helped out some. If nothing else they hold up a lot better than Levis do. The blood seems to wash out of them a lot easier as well.

The knee pads I added after a rather spectacular trip over the handlebars into some really nasty rocks. I might have been able to walk the next day if I had the knee pads before that crash.

Rod

ShoujoKakumei

Sep 14, 2007
I wear a helmet, boots, goggles, and gloves in a long-sleeve shirt and jeans. I also wear a pair of soft wrist wraps from the drugstore because I have carpal tunnel and it hurts like a b*tch to fall on my hands. :(

My next purchases are going to be knee and elbow pads and a chest protector.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
What rider safety gear is a must and what is not?

What body parts are you willing to damage? If you ride, you fall. Fall without gear and there's a good chance of injury. Prioritize your body parts and that will tell you what safety gear to get first. Who cares what people think you look like?

There was a guy that used to race the vet class with huge shoulder pads under his jersey. I always thought he looked stupid, but never told anyone. Now I know why he wore them. Knee injuries are still the worst outside of spinal or brain IMHO.

Good luck.

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
You might try purchasing your gear online too. Many outlets "bundle" packages that have pretty good stuff at a very reasonable price. [you can overcome sizing issues by trying on the stuff at the bike shop and then order online]

regarding need of certain items: "It is better to have and not need, than to need and not have."

Have fun!
Ken

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
XRpredator said:
don't forget one of those helmet stabilizer speed wing spoiler thingies.

Those are real important. They help reduce head shake! :laugh:

Top Bottom