Aug 12, 2006
Hello, fellow riders. I am trying to get back in to motocross. I currently ride street bikes and used to ride dirt bikes five years ago. Since moving from Hawaii, I had no interest in riding motorcross. Now I need help!!!

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
I am 5'10 and I weight 150 pounds.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I am in great shape and very aggressive rider. I use to race novice class back home. Also, in trail races.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
I plan to do a lot of trail riding at first, but when I have the extra cash I plan to do track. I want a bike that will be able to handle both. I have friends that go to both track and trails. Track on the weekends and trail during the weekdays. I also want to get into freestyle riding.

4) Do you have any riding experience?

Yes, I have been riding bikes for the last 9 years. I rode 4 years motocross and trail riding and the remaining years on a GSXR street bike.

5) Do you think you will race ?
Eventually. but I need to practice first. I also, need a bike that I can grow with and gain the confidence with too.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your
own bike work?

I will be doing most of my work, only if I get stuck on something and need professional assistance, then I will take it into a shop. I work on my street bikes and use to work on my dirt bike.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Well, I prefer Yamaha or Honda, when it come to dirt bikes. I use to ride a 1996 CR 125 and 1999 YZ 125 2 stroke and know very little on the 4 stroke. I have friends that are advising me to get a 2 stroke, and others are saying get a 4 stroke. I am confussed.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yes, I do, but I plan on buying a used bike from outside of the dealership. They charge way to much where I live. I have been looking on the local for sale ad's. ****, as well as Craigslist.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? I want to spend anywhere between $1500 and $3000.

10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I am interested in finding out the difference between maintain a 2 stroke compared to a 4 stroke. Also, I have been looking at the years between a 2001 and 2004. Which bike will give me the most for my money as well as light on the pockets, when it comes to fixing it. Thanks and I look forward for your responses.

Last edited:

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
If you're going to actually RACE, then I really think you'll need a 250F. If you're going out to learn to be a better rider and to challenge yourself, 125's are a lot of fun. I really enjoyed riding my KX125 (which, unfortunately, is soon to be up for sale). I've been riding for 30 years but have not had a good 125 since my RM125B and I wasn't a very good rider back then. The KX taught me a lot about corner speed, clutch use, body english, and etc. But, I had to ride as hard as I can to keep up with 250Fs and when I borrowed a friend's 250F, I easily kept up and passed the other guys. I was faster, easier on the 250F. So for a racing situation, I'd go 250F. However, it's probably not the last bike you'll ever own, so why not get a 125 at their current dirt-cheap prices, ride it for 6-12 mos, learn something, and then move on?

Aug 12, 2006
Thanks for the info

I just got a really good deal and wanted to know what you thought about it. It is a 2004 YZF 250. I got the guy down to $2000, because he is going away to college. Should I get it or a 125?? Thanks

monkeyonahill

Aug 12, 2006
If you can get a 250f for that price i'd say go for it! that's $1,000 cheaper than i can find any '04 250f! but if you look around for some 125's im sure you could find some for $1800-$2000, you're prefference. if u decide 125 pm me :cool:

Last edited:

Poptart

Aug 3, 2006
stefanenyce808 said:
I just got a really good deal and wanted to know what you thought about it. It is a 2004 YZF 250. I got the guy down to $2000, because he is going away to college. Should I get it or a 125?? Thanks

go buy it right now lol! my dad got his 02 for $1700! a nd yamaha is the best. thats what he has.

RMZRIDER

Aug 3, 2006
maybe make sure nothing is wrong with it, 2000 dollars is extremely cheap, so i'd say ride it and inspect it with a fine tooth comb, otherwise sounds like a great deal!

Aug 12, 2006
Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for all you guys and gals help in choosing a bike. I just picked up the 04 YZF 250 today and the bike runs like butter. I am new to Jersey anyone know any good places to ride. Thanks,

Top Bottom