muddy13

Oct 5, 2007
Well im new to this forum and dirtbiking in general :blah:
I moved to newfoundland and my dad bought me a 125cc baja dirtrunner. Ive been riding it for 2 months now goin on 3 and nothing has happened to it damage wise. for a newer brand name bike shes half decent, my friend clocked her at 104km on a straight away but shes very heavy.

anyways im lookin into getting a new bike in the next few months cause this one just aint cutting it.sooo.. :cool:

1) your physical size ?
Im 5"11 140pounds mesomorph
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
once i get the feel for any machine i like to rip up the ground so too speak.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
well since im in newfoundland we make are own trails and tracks, so mainly pits,woods,bogs,feilds , all with friends.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
ive done pretty much everything the bike i got can take lol, so yes to a extent.
5) Do you think you will race ?
if i do it will be with friends :ride:
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
most of the time
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
nope
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
yes and all
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
anywhere from 2000-4000 (maybe 5000 if rents chip in :) )
10) Do you live in California?
i live in canada
11) Your age?
im 16 on october 12th

oh ye! almost forgot haha, i was thinking of getting a 2007 ttr230 but heard it doesnt got the power i want, so i was also thinking of a 2 stroke 250,
thanks

May 10, 2007
a 250 2stroke would have WAY too much power for you.

i would look at a 250 4 stroke.

the bike you is a trail bike. it doesnt have any crazy power or torque. a 250 2t will have crazy torque compared to it. it will probably be faster in first gear then your current bike.

muddy13

Oct 5, 2007
most likely lol, would there be any 4stroke 250's that u would suggest? or even a 230's?

any suggestions are apprecaited XD

MoNSterB03

Oct 2, 2007
i got a crf 230F, im about your height a lil bit taller and about 5 lbs. heavier. its alright but frankly, it doesnt have enough power for what i want either. i heard its better than a ttr230 but not by much. after about 6 ft. of air the suspension bottoms out for a 140lb. rider. i would agree about the 250 2 stroke, waaaay to much. go with a 125 if you want a 2 stroke, but i suggest a 250f. its got a great suspension, and should be plenty of power. PLUS they make lots of upgrades so if you can get the cash, thats the way to go. crf250r is great, or the yz 250F.

May 10, 2007
yea i agree. 230's are heavy w/ not enough power to compensate for that weight.

125's are good but if you are gonna be trail riding i would advise against it. they really have no power out of band (stock) and all power is in the powerband in the top end.

250 4t would be good though. i agree w/ honda or yamaha. for honda the CRF250R or 250X (x is the trail version but they have the same engine really) for yamaha the yz 250f or the wr 250.

muddy13

Oct 5, 2007
alright thanks guys, but i looked at the prices on the newer ones and it seems to be in the high 6.5-8.5 grand area lol, so im guesssing ill be goin with a used one, any tips on what too look for? year ? etc

thanks agian for the help, keep it coming haha

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Look for a 250F (if buying used, I'd give preference to the Yamaha YZ250F) or possibly a 200 two-stroke. Are you planning on doing motocross or just general riding? If MX isn't high on your priorities, a KDX200, KTM200EXC or MXC or a GasGas EC200 might fit the bill.

muddy13

Oct 5, 2007
Im planning on trail riding with friends, so i need a bike with the power to get up huge hills, get through massive bogs, ride threw the woods with no problems etc

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
muddy13 said:
Im planning on trail riding with friends, so i need a bike with the power to get up huge hills, get through massive bogs, ride threw the woods with no problems etc

Takes more skill than power to do that.

A 200 two-stroke will have more than enough power for you. A 125 would probably work too, but you'll have to learn how to use the clutch to make a 125 work in the woods.

muddy13

Oct 5, 2007
what do you mean by using the clutch for the 125? lol its not much different then using the clutch on any other dirtbike in the woods is it?
im not all that exped in dirtbiking so im probly wrong haha so let me know!

muddy13

Oct 5, 2007
dont mean to double post an all but btw, when i say get up big hills i mean get up them FAST. goin in like 2nd or third max, i know u can go up hills quick on any dirtbike but i mean like 50-70 degree hills lol and barly any speed approaching it

May 10, 2007
muddy13 said:
what do you mean by using the clutch for the 125? lol its not much different then using the clutch on any other dirtbike in the woods is it?
im not all that exped in dirtbiking so im probly wrong haha so let me know!
he means you will have to use it to stay on the pipe.

dont know if you knew this and if you did they w/e

2strokes burn a mix or gas and oil. this is to lubricate the engine. if you dont keep the revs high enough though you will foul a spark plug which is when too much oil gets on it stopping it from sparking.

2t's also have a hard powerband. it is when power and torque dramatically increases. like doubles.

ALSO 125's have most power in the top end. so unless you are in the top revs you wont have too much power out of the band.

ALSO a 2t clutch will feel different to you becuase of the way the engine revs.

muddy13

Oct 5, 2007
oh thanks man, that really helps =]
so now i know that i wont be going for a 250 2 stroke, btw everyone im not planning on buying this probly till after summer. i just want to get some experienced riders info and suggestions so i can start looking into it ahead of time.

right now im thinking of the ttr 230 still.. and a 250wr (250 4t yammy) lol just incase i spelt that wrong, or thous 200 strokes some of you mentioned.

keep all that incrediable advice comming ! :nod:

Top Bottom