tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
yes a frigging computer problem.

pages on this site scroll erraticly...even after the page has loaded. typing text is a nightmare as there is a big lag after every keystroke and or cursor click. the system offline is fine. did i goof a setting or something? ive got windows 98. this is driving me crazy. i dont think it is the provider. i can use my laptop with no problems on the same connection(phone line).

pages seem to load just as fast its just that the scrolling, typing and clicking on items results in a much delayed reaction. just to make it more interesting, some pages load and scroll fine. they dont seem to have any graphics or links though.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Gene, I had the same problem. When typing I could get a few lines done before it would show up and forget scrolling. Turns out it was a map tracking program I picked up somewhere. I use "Spybot" and it didn't find anything, not untill I downloaded Ad-Aware did it fix the problem. It found about 180 problems.

Get yourself a free download of Ad-Aware from Lavasoft and I bet you'll find your problem.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I'll second the vote for Ad-Aware. I have the free version and run it frequently. It's easy enough and has come through anytime I have a problem.

Chief

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Isn't that Spybot actually spyware in disguise?

How can I stop that gray popup window it always throws up? It only does it on one computer out of 3 that I use. Why only one? I surf all the same sites.

Ad-Aware is da bomb.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
well, ive run both spybot and ad aware and no luck. im hating this but am determined to kick its butt.

any other suggestions from you experts?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by tx246
well, ive run both spybot and ad aware and no luck. im hating this but am determined to kick its butt.

any other suggestions from you experts?
I didn't have any luck with Ad-Aware untill I did the update.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
ill go and check to see which version i have

KineticPoet

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2002
In addition to running Adaware and Spybot, you may want to Download and run CWShredder.

There is something floating around called coolwebsearch that basically slows down your PC and causes some of the symptoms you described. There are many variations of it and the most common one changes your home page and will not allow you to change it. It cant be removed by Adaware or spybot.

You can read about it here. http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html

The first variant of CoolWebSearch wasn't even identified as such. There only were several threads of users experiencing enormous slowdowns in IE when typin messages into text boxes. Delays of over a minute before the typed text appeared were reported. Also some redirections to www.datanotary.com were reported.

The solution to this problem took a while to surface, but after a few weeks (which is pretty long) someone reported the problem going away when going into IE Options, Accessability and disabling the 'Use My Stylesheet' option. After that, the fake stylesheet file could be deleted.

The hijack installed a stylesheet that used a flaw in Internet Explorer and allowed a .css stylesheet file to execute Javascript code. The code in the file was encrypted, and spawned a popup off-screen that did the redirecting. However, this file was called on almost every action taken in IE, slowing it down - this was the most obvious when typing text.

And here is the direct link to the download if you dont feel like reading all that. http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/junk/CWShredder.exe

It's a small download and definitely worth checking out if you've tried everything else.

Last edited:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
kinetic poet et al.

i had performed previous scans with ad aware5 with no fixes. i updated to the adaware6 and guess what it found in the registry? those very .css items you talked about. im back to normal and loving it. type appears when i type and the pages move when i scroll the mouse. thanks a bunch yall!! my computer is feeling much better. i feel like i have dsl!!

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I had the one that changes the homepage and man was it getting me mad. Of course the Ad-aware shot it down. Well for now I guess we're ahead of the game.

tx246, glad you are happy and healthy and remember, no more unprotected surfing!!!    :thumb:

I also got rid of Mcafee which expired a long time ago and installed a free version of gris-soft virus protection. It's fast and got rid of the bad stuff fast. It runs as soon as you boot up and has also made a big difference in performance. I also started updated, no, updating microsoft windows. Right now my delete button doesn't work, which is a somewhat new twitch. The game continues..........

Top Bottom