Hondaman_06

Nov 8, 2001
OK well it looks like pretty soon i'm going to be needing some new tires. I was wondering what you all suggest for the conditions i ride in. I basicly ride all trails i might take the bike out on the road every once in a while but that is less than once a month. The ground conditions around here really varies quite a bit as anyone from Southern Indiana would know. Sometimes the trails will be nothing but sloppy mud and other times it can be hard as a brick and as dry as a popcorn fart. I would say the majority of the time the trails stay inbetween these to extrems in more of a moist but still fairly hard packed ground. So what would you sugest for me to use that will grip good or atleast better than what i got. i am currently running Peirelli MT 21's but they don't grip at all in wet conditions. On my old XR 100 i'm and running Cheng Shin C755's and they seemed to grip really well. Should i consider those on my TTR? So any sugestions would be appricated.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
My personal opinion is to buy cheaper tires and change them more often.
I am getting very fond of the kenda k772"carlsbad" tire. They are a harder terrain tire but I am able to slog my way thru the mud. I haven't ripped any knobs off the tire or gotten any flats in the heavy sharp rock sections in my last ride. Which surprised me since the terrain was brutal and I only had 10 psi in the tires. As I said My Opinion these are decent tires.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
look into some of the IRC tires, I've heard good things about the VE-35's and VE-33's, for the mix of hardpack and mud here in SE Ohio (great stuff by the way) I'm running S-12 michelin's front and rear, I would have gone through at least 2 sets of dunlop 756's by now and the michelin is barely half worn, still grips as good as it did when I put it on.

Hondaman_06

Nov 8, 2001
ok well thanks for all the suggestions and i have been looking around and have found a few tires i like. Has anyone ever tried Maxxis tires? They are all pretty cheap but how well do they hold up?

ml36

Aug 27, 2001
dwight, where are you located in southern indiana? i live on the east side of evansville. i started running michelin s-12's last year and will probably never switch, cause i can't see anybody making a better tire than this. they might be more expensive, but they'll last twice as long as any other soft terrain tire, which is the only thing i'l run around here. just like smb said, they still bite hard even when the edges round off and an 756 would start sliding all over the place. if you mail order them, you can usually save money, or westside honda has great prices.

later

Hondaman_06

Nov 8, 2001
ML i'm located about an hour east of evansville. i live in Perry County in case ur not filmilar with that u've proabbly heard of Tell City i live about 20 miles north of there. Ok well I like the S-12 but money is pretty tight for me so that is why i've been looking at some of the cheaper tires. If i don't hear anything good about the other tires and S-12 is most likely what i'll be getting. Thanks everyone for you suggestions and if have anymore keep them coming.

Weezie

Jul 29, 2000
I have a Maxxis IT on the rear of my KX250. It's holding up very well. I'm sticking to this tire. Excellent tire!!! ;) I put a IRC VE-32 on front, also an excellent tire IMHO.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom