What to add to a YZ250 for woods riding

YZmidLife

Nov 23, 2006
Just picked up a sweet looking '01 YZ250 that I was told was a practice bike for a 170lb sponsored MX rider (suspension revalved for him), that pretty much sat for the last two years. I plan on using it for woods riding in Northwestern Oregon and Northern California, so it needs to be way quieter, maybe a bit more plush, some armor....

I'm 5'9", 190lbs, 36 years old, haven't ridden in 15 years, kind of out of shape, great health insurance.

It has a Pro Circuit Works pipe with a Factory 304 silencer, but the first thing that's changing is the silencer to an FMF Q. I care less about the power loss, and more about continuing to have places to ride. Would have gone with a PC Type 296, but they don't appear to be made for the '01 YZ. Will the FMF silencer/sparc arrestor work with the PC pipe? If not, I'll go with an FMF gnarly also.

Here is the list of other changes I'd like to/might make:
Suspension re-dialed to my specs
Handguards
Devol radiator guards
Heavier flywheel
Scotts (or other) stabilizer
Rekluse Auto-z clutch
skid plate

Of course, I still want to have money left over to put gas in it, so I have to pick and choose. What would you choose to change on a bike like this if you had approx. $1000 to put into it?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The pro circuit pipe takes away low end and adds top end. You might really enjoy a stock yz 250 pipe for your specific use. I know we dont think of this as a "HOP UP" , but it tryly is.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
YZmidLife said:
Here is the list of other changes I'd like to/might make:
Suspension re-dialed to my specs
Handguards
Devol radiator guards
Heavier flywheel
Scotts (or other) stabilizer
Rekluse Auto-z clutch
skid plate

The Scotts and the Rekluse later but the rest of the stuff is almost mandatory.

Steve

YZmidLife

Nov 23, 2006
Thanks for your replies, Rcannon and Steve.

I guess the next thing I'll need to worry about after switching pipes is if it's jetted correctly. Time to buy a book or DVD. Do you know if this is covered well in the Eric Gorr book, or is there another one you would recommend?

Ryan

loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
I run a long rod and spacer kit and my bottom i so much better.

It makes the bike very smooth off the bottom, think like a trials bike (obviosly alot more get) and the once you crack it, it is all there.

I by the way have the same bike, which was also revalve for 170 lb motocross rider.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
YZmidLife said:
. . .but the first thing that's changing is the silencer to an FMF Q. I care less about the power loss, and more about continuing to have places to ride.

:cool:

You'll be liked around here.

Welcome to DRN.

sam2007

Jan 6, 2004
i have a 2003 yz 250 with a bills pipe ....the low end and mid of this bike with the pipe is sick ...this is as close as it comes to 500cc 2 stroke power i have ever had...i have ridden 2 strokes from the year 1970 owned over 20 bikes get the bills for low&mid

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
Rcannon said:
The pro circuit pipe takes away low end and adds top end. You might really enjoy a stock yz 250 pipe for your specific use. I know we dont think of this as a "HOP UP" , but it tryly is.
he said he will go with the gnarly pipe

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Smaller front sprocket...
Some sort of driving-lights...

The worst thing that can happen is riding close to dusk and getting caught in the dark in the woods.

Dan

BRUTE448

Aug 3, 2006
hey..are you riding browns camp, dimond mill areas?...as for the new parts: Bark busters are a MUST!!!!...next a skid plate, then start doing all the other down teh road.. ive ran the same sus. from when i bought my 250.. its stiff as balls but its saved me a few times!..my dad has has a fly wheel, bark busters and dialed suspention, guts racing seat foam (02 CR250) and he loves it!..all he dose is Bronws camp...on the headlight subject..if its starts to get to dark u get to the high way and ride back from there!!! chuckle chuckle :laugh:

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
if you go with the Q would ya concider selling the PC silencer? if so how much?

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
I'd recommend the Scott's stabilizer first. Rode without one for years until and injury due to bar slap. I order it like this, helmet first and then a stabilizer! Awesome piece of gear!

YZmidLife

Nov 23, 2006
Sorry for the late reply.

I've only taken the bike out once due to the lack of coordination between the weather and my free time. That was a trip to Longview MX in Washington the day after it rained. Most parts of Brown's Camp were still closed, and I wanted someone to be around to call Life Flight in case I ended up sprawled out on the trail. So I call up the lady at Longview, who said the main track was closed, but the sand track and beginner tracks were still open. After a couple times around the deserted beginner track riding wheelies over mud puddles, I decide it's time for my first time on a motocross track, albeit wet sand with lots of ruts from the 20 or so other riders out there. "Hey, those guys don't look so fast, I bet can keep up with them." I kept the other riders from passing me using a riding style I characterize as "The Spastic Jackass", creating my own unique line as I carved my way from side to side across the track, rear wheel spinning and spraying wet sand everywhere, feet coming off the pegs and flying every time I got air or the front wheel got sucked into a new rut and sent me some place I didn't intend to go. I think at one time, I even did a Superman. You wouldn't expect to be able to hear the words of assistance from other riders over the sounds of my wound up 250 two-stroke (and my Homer Simpson screams) as they eventually passed. I think they were saying something about some "a--hole" on the track and "Look out!". I'd hate to be that guy. I think one of them even showed me I was number 1.

After completing almost a full lap, it was time to say "Goodbye" to my new friends at the sand track. I drag raced a kid on a 50 and came in second. To be fair, it may have been a 65. More trips around the beginner track. This time I passed some kid on a 3 wheeler. Owned him, YAH!

So, after an hour+ drive to Longview, a $20 entry fee, and not quite an hour of riding, I decided my pro motocross career would have to wait. It really wouldn't be fair to all those kids who have practiced so hard and spent so much money (or their parents money, ...Ok, really not important), only to be subjected to my obvious natural talent. Maybe an enduro is better suited to my riding "style". I'm thinking an '04 or '05 KTM 450 EXC that has already been lowered to better fit my height and maybe has some aftermarket goodies, rather than sinking money into the YZ to get it sized right and plush, then even more money to make it work for Brown's camp (woods). Besides, the YZ buzzes the crap out of my hands and feet. Does that sound normal with a YZ?

if you go with the Q would ya concider selling the PC silencer? if so how much?

I might sell the YZ to pay for part of the KTM, so I would include the PC silencer with it. Although, it probably wouldn't be wise to sell the current bike before I got the next one because I could get caught with good weather and no bike.

Smaller front sprocket...
Some sort of driving-lights...

The worst thing that can happen is riding close to dusk and getting caught in the dark in the woods.

Dan
Another good reason to go with the EXC. That beats duct taping a flashlight to my helmet. I need to print this out to show my wife.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
the vibrations go hand in hand with almost any bike. get a nice set of handlebars and that can be solved

Top Bottom