What to carry when trail/woods riding?

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm just curious as to what spare tools/parts you carry when you're trail riding. This summer is going to be a lot of trail riding for me, as I am spending a month or so with my grandpa.

Storage shouldn't be a problem as most of the time there'll be one or two quads around. :yikes:

I've never been trail riding before though, so I am clueless as what to bring in regards to safety. The trails are pretty remote too, so that may have some impact on what to take.

So far I was thinking;
-Extra levers
-Spark plug(s)
-Maybe a small socket wrench(?)
-Extra chain (master link?)

That's basically all I can think of for now, any other key items I should bring?

Thanks,

elliot67

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
Tire changing equipment. Spoons, tube, patches, axle wrenches etc. I dont carry an extra chain (way too heavy) but an extra master link or two is a must have. JB weld has come in handy for us multiple times. Various sockets, screwdriver, locking pliers. All the stuff I need could fit into a good roll out tool pouch, now just to find one of those damn things....

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
In addition to some of the above suggested tools, I carry a small roll of duct tape, about 2ft. bailing wire and pliers... That is my redneck welding setup...and I've used more tape and wire than anything else thus far.

My back pack is not overly heavy and I can overcome a multitude of "challenges" with it's contents.

Good stuff-

Ken

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
If your going to be doing lots of woods riding then then the bark buster things are good to have when you hit a tree :)

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Thanks guys.. It's making a lot of sense to me now (what to be prepared for etc.)

150rguy said:
If your going to be doing lots of woods riding then then the bark buster things are good to have when you hit a tree :)

I'm asking what I should carry in regards to tools/spare parts, not what I should equip my bike with.

Nov 25, 2006
Elliot, is this going to be a big ride, with other people and whatnot?

Anyway, other levers? No. The lever will be fine, bent or broken, its the clutch perch that will hinder your riding. Even then, you can still ride. Plug and plug socket are good, but bring the master link! I pushed for 2 miles a few months back when my master link popped. Bring some water or other beverage, and have fun!

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
4thGearAndPinned said:
Elliot, is this going to be a big ride, with other people and whatnot?

It'll mainly be with my grandpa, and a couple he's friends with and their kids. So a quad, and 2 rhino's. That's why space really isn't an issue with them. Heck, they ride 100-150km out, set up, have lunch, and ride back.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
elliot67 said:
Thanks guys.. It's making a lot of sense to me now (what to be prepared for etc.)

I'm asking what I should carry in regards to tools/spare parts, not what I should equip my bike with.

Sorry I was just giving you a suggestion, but they also save your clutch/brake levers.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
What is it illegal to mention something 3 or four times?

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
150r, please keep it on topic.

if you have an off topic question or comment for me, you can email me through my profile. :)

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
I think you both need to settle down. :think:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I'd get some bark busters. Then you don't need no spare levers.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I always pack rags or a small towel--pack it around your tools. I also use a T wrench with 3 sockets on it that fit my bike. A riders wrench that fits the plug (water cooled only) and the axle nuts is always needed. Other things have been mentioned, but try to combine functions to reduce weight. If you are riding in a group everyone does not have to carry tire changing tools for example. Have fun John

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
bsmith said:
I'd get some bark busters. Then you don't need no spare levers.
Dont tell him that :(

Top Bottom