What to do about part broken by dealer?

kiowa58d

Apr 10, 2007
Hello,
So my 97 xr 600 has been at a certain honda dealership here in new orleans for about a month and half to have the top end rebuilt. The service department sent the jug off the to have the sleeve milled at a local machine shop because they found that the motor barely had enough compression to stay running.

Apparently, the jug came back from the machine shop with the sleeve partially sticking out of the top of the jug and the service manager said he was not sure if it was like that before it left or if the machine shop did it. He told me he didn't have the correct tools to measure whether or not the jug would have the proper clearance to put on the head as well. I suggested a big bore kit but he was not sure if the new sleeve would remain in place once the engine was run since it had moved and subsequently suggested buying a whle new jug. Personally I didn't think he knew what he is talking about so I went and picked up the head and the piston to send off to Engine Dynamics.

The problem is that I was in a hurry today when I picked up the jug and failed to notice that one of the cooling fin corners was busted off. My question is am I screwed as far as having them replace the jug since it was not broken when I left the bike to be fixed or am I SOL since it was in my possession as well?

Any thoughts or advice would be very helpful.
Mark

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Was it damaged during shipping or by the Engine Dynamics? If it was at the shop and you can prove it, they have to pay for it. Otherwise, I hope you insured your parcel.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
kiowa58d said:
I went and picked up the head and the piston to send off to Engine Dynamics.

The problem is that I was in a hurry today when I picked up the jug and failed to notice that one of the cooling fin corners was busted off.

Any thoughts or advice would be very helpful.
Mark

Mark.

If you are talking about Engine Dynamics in Petaluma,
call Mike, the owner, and tell him what happened. If the broken fin was their fault they can repair it like new. If it wasn't their fault they can still fix the fin for a lot less than a new cylinder. Mike is a heads-up guy and will give you the straight scoop. If for any reason they can't help you, PM me, I know somebody that can. :cool:

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom