What to do about tearing up my own yard?

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
Since they closed the last two riding areas near me last year I've been riding in my yard which is about 2.5 acres. I've only ridden around the yard about 20 times and the tree roots are already coming through and small ruts are forming along with acceleration bumps.

Should I put a base of item 4 and a topcoat of soil? Would gravel be better? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
One of my dad's pet peeves for what i love. Tearing up the yard. Well my advice would be to put another coat of soil or loom to fill in the ruts and let it grow back for a while before riding on it again. If you have a certain place that seems to be sensitive on your yard and you want to devote it to just riding you could put down gravel woodchips or maybe even crushed rock and make a trail area. it will hold up better than soil but the cost is the uglyness of it depending on how you arrange it.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
ask your parents where you can and cannot ride...

Like im not allowed to ride in the front circle.. the section between the house the trees(in the back) and between the pool and house... anywhere else is free game

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Ride different patterns but I think you'll grow out of them soon. I've got 50 acres with trails and I know all the tricks to them. How about a pickup truck or trailer and come ride in Michigan.

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
I'll try the woodchips/crushed rock idea in the yard and see how it goes. Thanks.

How about a pickup truck or trailer and come ride in Michigan.
I actually looked into going to Michigan a few months ago - it's the closest set of sand dunes (Silver Lake?) to New York.

Nick KOZ

Aug 12, 2007
I had that problem at my place I road at, I just took shall rocks and broke them up over the areas with a sledge hammer and laid dirt over and made it almost like a landfill with a shale then dirt lair shale then dirt layer etc. everything and packed it in hard. Now it is good to go and rarely tears up.

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Trailqueen- I do notice the woods trails where there's been alot of branches packed in the soil, holds up much better than sunbaked fields where the ground has gone to dust. Maybe the wood chips might just work.

madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
trailqueen, i live in carmel, new york. very close to you.
sadly, theres not much riding around us that comes without the hassle of police or DEP.
i always loved the maybrook track but apparently thats closed?

Race_Bennett

Jul 23, 2007
trailqueen said:
I'll try the woodchips/crushed rock idea in the yard and see how it goes. Thanks.

I actually looked into going to Michigan a few months ago - it's the closest set of sand dunes (Silver Lake?) to New York.

i live prob 10 minutes from silver beach :)

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
The stone/dirt layering seems to be working so far. I think I'll have to go to a 4 stroke tho - my 2 stroke isn't happy unless he's all out and covering ground! :laugh:

i always loved the maybrook track but apparently thats closed?
Maybrook is closed as of 08/2006. Word has it they're building a golf course. That's why I started riding in my own yard. I heard Lembo Lake might be trying to reopen so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Top Bottom