nls2299

Aug 20, 2010
Ok, Im new and not sure if I posted this in the right place earlier, so I thought I'd drop this in here also...
Ok, my first posting.
Son has been riding since 3, rode the wheels off an XR50. We finally upgraded him to a CRF100 which he rode for a year and a half.
His info.
1) 11 1/2 years old, 5'2", 95 pounds.
2) Not the most aggressive kid in the world, but isn't the type to cruise in first gear, just putting along...ran the CRF pretty hard, but didn't destroy it.
3) We ride trails - period. We have about 15 acres of trails to ride on, with a small pitbike track. Land is fairly flat, but we do run down into creeks, up and out, up and down...typical riding ya know?
4) He's been riding since 3, I've been riding for 20+ years - couple dirtbikes, couple quads, streetbikes, Harley's, etc.
5) His friend has a fullblown mx track but he's only been on it a couple times...seriously doubt if we ever actually race.
6) I am mechanically inclined, but as for a complete bike build or engine overhaul, I would need help. I have zero experience with 2 strokes, other than riding my friends.
7) We've always ridden Suzuki and Honda.
8) One dealer near me and they are horrible, however I can access parts.

Well a few of his friends have 85cc 2 strokes. 1 is a serious MX'er (RM), the other a serious GNCC'er (KTM). He's rode their bikes, loved them, rode them well but honestly never kept it in the powerband too much, preferred the RM.
He was timid on the track and in the woods never really had the room to keep it in the powerband...which is fine, the bikes ran well still and he was comfortable...that's what matters most.
Well we thought at the time we'd sell the CRF, get him a 2 stroke. The CRF sold in no time, and I've spent a while locating a good deal on a used RM85 which is what he wanted (tight budget).
Now I'm concerned. For where we ride, the conditions we rode in, I'm thinking of should've kept the CRF, added some minor mods, and let him ride it to death for a while longer. I don't think he'll ever use the RM in the manner it is meant or can be used. Plus, it would've been fun to do a little mod project (minor stuff) with him on the CRF.
He has some other friends which have sold their KX85's and moved back to 125 - 4 strokes. Personally I prefer the CRF100 over the DRZ/KLX 125's.
Not sure what to do now...of course he says he wants the bada** mx'er...I don't know if he'll be happy in the long run, and I know my wife won't be happy if I keep buying and selling bikes!
I would appreciate any input from people in the same boat or were in the same boat.
Thanks!

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I'd look into a kx100. It has a bit more bottom end grunt than the 85cc mx'ers do, and just a bit less "hit," while still putting out plenty of power. I know a lot of off road kids that really seem to like them for that exact reason.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The RM is a fine bike for a few yeas, he'll out grow it soon enough anyway. My son loved riding his CR85 on similar conditions, maybe a bit more technical but the CR does not have a power valve and is known to a be a bit high strung. He came off of a XR80 that we ended up modifying pretty heavily and it's still a hoot but he would have killed that bike again (Rich built the engine twice) if he didn't have something he could really ride. Give him a bit of time and as he get's more comfortable he'll be glad he has a lighter and better suspended bike. No need for a bunch of mods, just ride it and keep it tuned properly. If the bike is near needing a rebuild it might be worth the time to have Eric Gorr do a bit of work on the engine. If you give hime the same info you gave us I am sure he can make adjustments to the ports / head / piston / power valve to make the bike even better suited to your son. That's what we did at rebuild time and went with a full super-mini build for woods and it was an amazing change. WAAAAY beteer money spent than on bling.

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
if you go for a 125 4 stroke definately go for the ttr 125L its way better than the klx and drz and there are alot of bbr upgrades like suspenion and a 150cc big bore wich i bet with some decent suspention ugrades would be way better than a 2 stroke 80 also might think about a crf150r or 150f the R if hes gonna race, the F if hes gonna hang with the 125's

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
The trail bikes and a mx track is just a bad combination, if he is going to spend time on it. Keep the rm. Vintage Bob

Sound advice, there.

That being said, just as I stated earlier, a kx100 would be a good fit. Better grunt for the trails while still being fully mx capable.

nls2299

Aug 20, 2010
Thanks for the info guys. Again, we ride purely recreational, just for fun. No, trail bikes and MX do not mix, but the only track he'll ever see is one at his buddys house and even then, he's only rode on it once.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If he only rode the track once that shouldn't be a deciding factor for getting a 4 stroke trail bike or keeping the RM. He basically has no experience on the track. It's true you CAN throw all sorts of money at a 4 stroke trail bike and make a decent (not better) bike, if you could the manufacturers would. I've been down the same road you are on, stick with what ya' got for a bit. Your son will adapt and become a more confident rider and person and mama will not be upset because of all the bike tradin'.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Kids are great at adapting to whatever they're given. However, they're also easily influenced by peers and can be very stubborn. If he rides with a bunch of 2 stroke MX bikes, that's what he'll be happy on....even if it's more challenging to ride. If you get him something he doesn't really want, even if it suits him better, he's not gonna be happy. I think you need to sit him down and discuss the positives of both bikes and find out what HE wants to be on.

nls2299

Aug 20, 2010
The problem is I've already sold what we had, the CRF, now I'm thinking I shouldn't have. So now it's, do I get another, maybe put a little bling on it, let him ride for a while longer, keep gaining confidence like you said,or go with the RM?
Like I said, it's just fun riding around our land, he's involved in so many sports and activities, that actually going to a track or racing just is not going to happen. He usually rides with me and not these friends that all race and have the MX'ers, I am on a Z-400 I bought when they were little so I could putt around behind them. I guess at this point in the year, it's getting pretty chilly, so no need to rush now, but it is one of those inbetween situations. You'd think manufacturers would see people dumping thousands into KLX's and CRF's and say, hey, we can make some money there. Give the kids something fun to ride that will handle a beating.
As for CRF150R's, that's his dream bike, but dad don't have the loot, not to mention, I heard that the maintenance on them is horrible and that was from a mechanic at a local shop.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you are stuck on getting another 4 stroke hit me up. The 95cc little beast in my trailer hasn't seen much action since my son went to college this year.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
nls2299 said:
You'd think manufacturers would see people dumping thousands into KLX's and CRF's and say, hey, we can make some money there. Give the kids something fun to ride that will handle a beating.

They did, yamaha built the ttr125 and honda built the crf150f. They're strong as hell. My wife's ttr125 has been beaten by big kids(160lbs+) for 3 seasons now and is still going strong. It's been dropped, jumped, dumped and overloaded and never broke a sweat. It's not fast or well suspended but it's a great reliable play bike that doesn't cost much to buy and maintain.

nls2299

Aug 20, 2010
Ok guys, when I first posted this, I put it in another area, not sure if it was the right one or not. Well I got no responses in it until today. Today a guy posts saying to stay away from the 2 strokes, etc. Then tells me to look into a CRF125 4 stroke small wheel, then add parts as I go.
First of all, I know bikes pretty well and can't say I've heard of a CRF125 4s Honda...am I crazy?
Thanks, you guys have been great help!

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
ya he probly meant crf100 wich isnt a bad idea but i think that your son would at least like to try a new bike, i still think the the ttr125l is a good idea they are about the same price as a crf100, but they are taller and have a disk brake wich in my opinion is worth it, i have an xr100 and my friend has a ttr125 i haven't really noticed a power difference but im able to jump his bike way farther than my 100

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Lol, the internet is full of free advice........sometimes it's not worth the investment........

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
But Joe.....

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
brentoncole said:
... but im able to jump his bike way farther than my 100
So what? Want to bet I know at least 2 dozen people that could jump your bike even further than you jump his ttr125? Heck my kid came home from college today I bet he could huck the XR80 we have in the trailer father than either one of those bikes!

And the point would be? :think:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You snooze, you lose. I'm sure another deal will turn up if you give it time and keep a sharp eye out but you have to be ready to pull the trigger before the next guy does.

Top Bottom