What to expect from an older KDX?

remington

Aug 19, 2001
I will be looking at an older kdx 200...1987 actually, is there anything I can expect to go wrong with this model and year? Also what price range should I expect if it is decent shape and runs? My motorcycle knowledge is somewhat limited so any help is appreciated:confused:

RADMAN

Jun 20, 2001
Buy mine!

I wish you lived in Texas...I have an 1987 KDX 200 for sale...I would honestly advise you to get a newer one if you can..I too had limited knowledge of bikes and repair.....I found that as I became a better and more agressive rider more stuff began to break on my old bike..and as i tried to find replacement parts they were expensive....No one made after market parts for such an old bike and the Kawasaki parts were very expensive...I bought a 2001 KDX 200 and spent a little for a pipe. spark arrestor and fly wheel weight...and now i am very happy! I will be even happier when I sell my old bike..I will make you a heck of a deal...but you will have to come get it!

remington

Aug 19, 2001
Well if I had some more dinero, I would buy newer...:( However just out of curiosity what would a "heck of a deal" be? Maybe I can use this info as bargaining material:D

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
I raced a '86 KDX for several years. The 86-88 are very similiar.

The '85 had much smaller (wimpier) forks.

The '86 - '88 have rear drum brakes, that tend to be a little bothersome, but tolerable.

The '87 was the same as '86 except the piston and rings were of a better Keystone design. The '88 went to a Keihin carb from a Mikuni.

I had more fun on my old '86 than any other bike for the money. I raced it successfully in the C class.

Water cooled KDX's are better, but the '86 thru '88 KDX might go down as one of the best all around inexpensive off road bikes ever made.....

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
'87 KDX

i ride a '99 220 as do several of my riding buddies. one of them has a mid-80's KDX for his wife. it's a runner! starts right up. goes good!

ran into a deal on an '87 and bought it. $100!! it didn't run, wheel bearings were shot, some broke spokes, flywheel cover missing, fine sand residue behind the filter, loose fitting filter, plastic all faded powder white, broke levers, loose rear suspension linkage, etc. a real winner, you know! but it was straight. the thing cranked over smoothly. and except for the flywheel cover, everything was present.

i took it home, tore it down to all it's bits & pieces (engine, too), replaced bearings, seals, levers, handle bars, some spokes, one wheel rim, crank kit, rings & some other really minor stuff. cleaned up the carb. tightened up the filter fit. and did all the other stuff you'd do to fully rebuild the bike.

all i got into it so far (other than all my own labor and including the initial purchase), is $680. about a third of that was for the front brakes (both the caliper and master cylinder needed to be fully rebuilt). absolutely NO PROBLEM obtaining parts. both factory parts and aftermarket parts are readily available. i've not run into cost problems. sure there are some specialized parts that you'll pay dearly for, but you will for those things on ANY bike!

for example...; the ball ends on the rear suspension linkage rod were HUGELY expensive. a complete rod was out of the question. it's all available..., just spendy.

you'll find that some folks don't make pipes for 'em any more. and if you want to find a current silencer..., you may need to relocate the mounting brackets on whatever you buy that otherwise fits. DG makes pipes & silencers for it. and i understand the at least one of the vintage bikes folks make pipes & silencers for it. look through the junk yards. mine has an almost perfect FMF gold series pipe (with a few very minor rust spots, that will rub off with the first woods ride).

i'm still assembling & don't expect to have a runner for a month or so (i'm taking my sweet time). will it run? oh yea! will it be reliable? oh yea. will it go anywhere it point it? yup..., to the limits of my skill. will it be fun? oh yea! will it run with my 220? probably not (unless dopey's riding it, in which case he & the '87 will seriously embarass me).

am i looking forward to riding it? absolutely.

was it a bargain? yes sir. i figure it's worth AT LEAST twice my investment.

is it a keeper. i think so. it'll be nice to have a spare bike for friends & my sweety pie. although..., my brother-in-law has been lusting after it so he might find it occupying his garage.

i don't know that i'd want to rely on the '87 for an everyday ride. but i think it would be an awesome novice bike. good engine. fair suspension. seat is very close to the ground. and if it's anything like my buddies..., it'll be an easy starter, have good range, and plenty of low-end.

from discussion i've had with friends who're much more informed about this stuff than me..., a poor running '87 that needs work is still worth about $800 in the great Pacific Northwest.

of you're looking at a runner..., shop like you would any used bike. bearings, wheels, engine mains bearings, piston/bore condition, etc.

have fun!!

Top Bottom