stevie93

Aug 20, 2007
I am 13 years old (14 in October), 5'7" tall and weigh @130 lbs.
I am moderately physical. I skateboard, race bmx and have been playing drum set since age 3.
I plan to mainly race mx (after learning to handle bike good enough) and riding trails around house with friends.
I had an 03 Yamaha TTR 90 until about 1 1/2 years ago my dad sold it when I out grew it. Haven't ridden one since.
My dad is mechanically inclined. But I feel that it will be half us and half certified mechanic doing repairs and maintenance.
I have no preference as to brand or 2 or 4 stroke, but my dad says that a 4 stroke is less maintenance than 2 stroke, at least in his riding days.
I have all brands of bikes within 1/2 hour drive of my home.
My dad says that I can get something in the $2500-3500 price range.
I live in Tennessee near Memphis.
My dad's main concern is that I haven't had any experience with a manual clutch. He says he doesn't want me to kill myself or tear up a clutch trying to learn.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Jan 3, 2007
stevie93, welcome. All i have to say about the whole clutch thing is a clutch is cheap. The fiber plates are like $60 at the most. Just when you start to learn try to drag the clutch a bit instead of dropping it because you are more likely to break a clutch basket tooth when dropping aggressivly.

Now, for a bike. I think that any newer or new 2 stroke 85 would be good for you. Buy the bike when the new 2008s come out that way the 2007s will be clearence models. With a 85 2 stroke i would recomend a flywheel weight because it will help in smoothing out the power and also make the bike less prone to slow speed stalling.

stevie93

Aug 20, 2007
Thanks for the info 2 strokes. I have been looking hard at the kx100. Do you know anything about that, good , bad, etc? My dad said if I got the kx100 I could race it until I turned 17. I may go that route. If anyone has any more advice please let me know. My dad said I would probably be able to get something this weekend.
Thanks

stevie93

Aug 20, 2007
Thanks 2 stroke.
That's been brought up and really something to think about.
I was wondering if I'd outgrow an 85 by the time I'm 16. A friend told me I might not have this bike very long since I am still growing. My dad's 6'2" tall so I know I have some growing to do in the next year or so. He also suggested that I should just buy a used 85 and then buy a new bike in a couple years when I have more experience and am ready to move up to something bigger. I can get a new '07 yz85 for $2394 & an '07 kx85 or cr85 for $2650. The more I think about it I think I am just going with the yz85. The dealer is only 6 miles from my home. I haven't had any luck finding much of anything as far as used dirt bikes in my area. Nothing in the newspaper or cycle trader. My dad has told me that whatever I get I will have to ride it for at least 2, maybe 3 years before even thinking of buying another bike. yz85? Any thoughts on that choice?
I'm tired of doing research and trying to decide.

Thanks

Top Bottom