what to look for in a used bike.

bbike

Nov 11, 2003
Hey guys, I am calling a guy tomorrow about a 2001 cr250 and was wondering what to look for. I want the bike ready to go, should i ask about clutch? What should i check to see if the bike is true and is ready to rock.

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
ask questions like:
1)How often did you change the tranny oil?
2)How often did you service the air filter?
3)How often was the bike riden?
4)What was the bikes primary use?

And try to look for quicker answers. if they have to hesitate that could mean that they are making something up. like it they go uhhhhhh, hmmm, letme check... then they're prolly pulling something outta theire @$$.

also inspect it for damages, even ask if you can take a look at the air filter. that's about all i can think of. i'm sure the people here will come up wiht many many more though. smart bunch!

beefydog

Nov 7, 2003
Well it's a 2001 so it probly couldn't have seen enough abuse to be permenently damaged/worn. Sometimes obvious things like they say "Ohh its never been raced" and yet theres numbers on it, or ask how old the chain and sprokets are, if they say they're new or only a few rides, look closely at the teeth on either of them, and check how worn chain is (tug on it at the back of the rear sproket, if it pulls away more than half a tooth then it sure aint new. Just like with cars most people just alwase answer your questions positivly so if you know they're lying about some then they may be on the others. Some other tests or stuff to look for,
-When test riding it, start it up and put it in gear, with the clutch pulled when you rev the engine if the bike creeps forward a littlebit that can tell you it needs clutch work.
-ride in 3'rd gear and start applying the rear brake while accelerating, pay attention if the clutch is slipping, and if it pops out of gear, then theres transmittion trouble.
I guess you could spend a whold day test riding, interrogating the owner, and inspecting, but if you see no physical damage, and even if the clutch is worn or top end needs replacement that stuff doesnt cost to much, and will help you connect with your new machine. That is if your getting a good deal, how much is it by the way? Like Racer#213 said, ask simple questions and see how quick the andsers come, also see if he points out any faults or trys to avoid them. Hope this helps
-Jim

beefydog

Nov 7, 2003
Wow that was fast. 2500 for a 2001 CR250. If it's in good shape and is ready to go, then thats a really good deal. Even if the top end is worn or clutch thats a good price. Honestly I like to see things left stock, when they have aftermarket everything it makes me nervious. Hope I'm right :)
-Jim

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Take a look at the bolt heads. If they're boogered up or mismatched, it's a sign that someone careless has been working on the bike.

RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
New parts
Swinging arm bearings and linkage
Frame
Wear on parts
Mileage
exhaust sound
any rattling
last piston/ring replaced
barrel rebored
clutch plates
compression - pistons - must have high compression
Forks must not leak oil, fork seals
Gears teeth on shifter, all gears
brakes/pads
wheel bearings- shake wheels
gaskets- oil leaks under engine

cracks in engine plates, magento
suspension
lights working
spares
damage to hubs
body cracs or bends

bbike

Nov 11, 2003
I hear what your saying, but for a 16 year old, a 2000 is just about as good as it gets. I dont have the mula for a new one.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
V-IMP: CHECK THIS, I didnt and suffered, try to move the swing arm side to side, if thers no movement good. If there is its 100, if the swingarm bolt will come out> Stand on the pegs and bounce, make sure thers no leaks or squeaks, on forks and shocks. If the pipe is excessively dented walk away!
Good Luck

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
I have one of these bikes, and it is a very well made, reliable bike. Items will wear out on it like anything else, so look for those as they can add alot to your "real" price - sprocket/chain (stretched?-look at adjuster bolt for remaining slack and look at sign of hooked teeth), tires (new?), graphics (ripped?), plastic (scraped, faded?), pipe (dented?). These things cost alot - chain/sprocket $120, tires $160, graphics $75, plastic $100, pipe $200. The CR250 has one of the best clutches in MX.

Ask for receipts - for fork/shock servicing, other items

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Saw a good idea on 2 wheel tuesday of all places, if the bike looks ok to you agree to pay the full price with a contract written between you and the buyer that you can return it in 1-3 days if it is not what you thought, if both sides are sincere this oughta work ok.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Somehow i dont think many sellers will go for that even if theres nothing up with the bike, its not worth the hassle. Just try not to get toon excited and rush into buying the bike! Howd it go anyway?

Top Bottom